Alor: Macro vs wide angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madacub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've never been to Alor, and I understand it is outstanding for macro. But I've been to most of the macro specialty spots in Indo/Philippines a few times, and I think I'm all macro'd out for the next year or two! (Or so I say! Those things have a beguiling way of sucking you back in :))

I usually go to Indonesia only in the Dec-Mar period, hence no Alor for me. But I'm getting a chance to go there this September. If I go to Alor, but I want to concentrate more on the larger creatures, not so much muck, what should I do? Any suggestions?

Or is Alor macro not to be missed, regardless of one's prior experience of macro elsewhere?

I see that Alor Divers is not on the main island. Their website is not clear about whether they have a/c. Do they do 3 boat dives + night dive each day? But they get good reviews on SB.

Alami Alor is situated closer to the bay, so less chances of going outside for the bigger stuff? Also they are a bit more expensive, but nitrox is included.

Tanapi seems good, but it is new (reviews?) and no nitrox.

I'll also check some details with the resorts themselves, but I thought I'd see what the people have to say. Thanks in advance.

Hello!
Alor is good for wide angle and muck. September to October is the whales migration season and you may get to see them at the resort if you are staying at Alor Divers else if you are lucky from the dive boat if you staying at other resorts.
We have stayed with Alor Divers and they only 2 dives per day and no night dives even at their house reef as the current can get very strong. So usually they do 2 dives out and that's it. The plus point with Alor Divers is that they are situated nearest this dive site called Yellow Corner/Current City or the locals called Munaseli where you get a chance to see schooling hammerheads. Challenging dive but the rewards are awesome.
They have aircons in each of their rooms and I would recommend the newly renovated bungalow where the room is nicely designed with divers in mind - back entrance to the shower/washroom.
Evenings may get boring as they do not do dives out but just sitting down listening to the waves lapping was perfect for us.
Alor Divers are one of the oldest operators around and their guides and staff are experienced as far as I remember they do not have NItrox back in April 2023.

I can't say for other dive resorts at the bigger island but I do know some do 3 dives a day and night dives as they are not out at the where Alor Divers is.
It really depends on your preference : dive dive dive or two (great) dives a day and you call it a day.
There is another dive resort you can check out called Nautika Alor, I have bookmarked them and will consider them should me and my husband goes back to Alor.

Hope the information helps!

As stated Alor Divers do two dives a day in the main straight and you can dive on their house reef for a third dive of the day. The house reef is a quality dive. At times the current rips by. They do one trip a week into the bay for muck diving (more if enough people request it) Not sure how many is enough, but I would guess 6 or so.

Alami does three dives a day, two to the main straight in pretty much the same sites as Alor Divers and then a third in the bay at a muck site. Night dive in the bay on request. Roughly once a week they do all three dives as muck dives in the bay. They will do more days as muck if you can fill a boat with like minded divers and you can skip the muck day and dive in the straight if you can get enough divers to agree. You can dive any time on their house reef.

I have been to both and am returning to Alami this October. A preference because you get three dives a day, more opportunities for muck and the accommodation and food is slightly better. Both are excellent.

There is a new resort opening this year MokoAlor, might be worth looking at. They also offer three dives a day. No idea what the schedule is. Air Dive Alor is another option.

Have done two dives at Yellow Corner, one with Alami, one with Alor no hammerheads.

IMHO the muck diving is up there with Lembeh and Ambon. Rhinopia, various octopus, various nudi's etc. I like the mix, wide angle in the straight and muck in the bay. Something to be aware of; you will not see mantas. We did chase a Mola Mola on one trip returning from the Bay. I never did see it, but others managed to get close enough. Blue whales, dolphins from the boat pretty regularly.

"Blue whales, dolphins from the boat pretty regularly." Blue whales!? Regularly?!!! Sign me up!

Since you mentioned about going to Banda Sea in DM, that whale migration would also continue to Banda Sea. So if you miss it in Alor, you have your 2nd chance to sea it in Banda Sea. I saw them in 2022, including free diving with Pilot whales & Sperm whales, as shown in this video:

Since you mentioned about going to Banda Sea in DM, that whale migration would also continue to Banda Sea. So if you miss it in Alor, you have your 2nd chance to sea it in Banda Sea. I saw them in 2022, including free diving with Pilot whales & Sperm whales, as shown in this video:

Wow! Fantastic stuff!

Reactions: Dan
Just to clarify, Alor Divers does not have AC. I was there as recently as October 2023 and have been twice. Alor Divers focuses mostly on wide angle dive sites and not much in Kalabahi Bay so if that’s your goal, they’re a solid op. If you want to focus on macro more, Alami Alor does and is inside the bay. They’re also 2X the cost but have AC. (I got quotes from both and considered both when I first went to Alor land based in 2022. I subsequently also returned in 2023. Prior to this, I had only been here as a day trip by liveaboard.)

Alor Divers does 2 boat dives a day with UNLIMITED DIVE TIME. Because of this, you dive until you’re low on air. My longest dive was 110 minutes and my shortest dive was 53 minutes over a sample of 71 dives. My average dive is about 80 minutes there. I did 4 dives a day - usually a third dive on the house reef in the afternoon or between the morning and afternoon dives, depending on the schedule and/or tides for the day. I also did a night dive most nights. Some nights, the tide and current weren’t good for it.

Highly recommend. They also have a beautiful white sand beach that’s quite long. The house reef is nice and easy to dive on your own if you want.

Just to be clear Alami does exactly the same number of wide angle dives in the straight as Alor Divers. Typically they go out to the same dive sites as AD in the AM for two dives. I saw the other resort's boats pretty regularly - not at the same site, just in passing. The resorts are pretty careful to not dive at the same site at the same time. When the two AM dives are done they return to the resort and a scheduled afternoon or night dive which is most often (but not always) in the bay and is mostly muck diving. I don't recall for sure if I was time limited diving with Alami, but I get a bit annoyed when my time is limited so I don't think it was. I would look at my computer, but it died at Alami and I used a rental. Roughly once a week Alor Divers goes in to the bay to do two muck dives instead of diving in the straight, Alami does the same. Unless there is enough divers to fill a boat that don't want to do that.

Alor Divers do not have AC in the rooms, but in November 2023 when I was there it was not needed. The resort is in the shade of the hills behind the resort starting in the late afternoon. Never missed it.

Ahh yes! I have mistaken it for other resorts. Alor Divers do not have AC. My apologies but I do recommended the renovated bungalows. It's bigger and better layout.

1711355083620.png

View from our room.

Hammerheads at Yellow Corner. This was in April 2023

1711355318989.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom