Wildlife habitat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No use wasting your breath on this buff fellow, folks. He (or she) is not interested in being confused by the facts.
Out.
Rick

Buff, I think your heart is in the right place but education of people like yourself and I is the beginning. You believe dont touch is the way to go. I believe moderation is the way to go. I've seen the dont touch and well its messy when it comes to deer. I'm no marine bioligest by know mean but it might work in our oceans. But you have people that you have to feed so moderation again may be the route to take. Here is a picture for you to look at. I dont believe it is still alive because of the population of deer and lack of food in that area. But Thats natures way of taking care of things. The young die first.
Click Here
I do a good bit of deer hunting on refuges and "US fish and wildlife" asked for the help in the control of deer population. I know a lot of hunters that spend mega bucks planting for wildlife. And well I'm pround to say I give money and sweat to help some of them plant also. Ducks unlimited and wild turkey federation is to groups anyone can join to help also.

Now there was a better argument-at least it wasn't "you won't understand", like most of the replies. It is quite possibly true that there is no true "wildlife" in the world..we have subdued and taken hold of all of it and now we must manage it cause mother nature can't anymore...sad but possibly true.

Getting back to the originally posted question. . . .
Some of us help in many ways.

Educate: By trade I am a Statistician and an Educator. Whenever I can provide information to someone, in the classroom or outside of it, to educate them on the issues I do. I use examples of how economic practices and hunting practices can endanger our word. Many people are unaware of how their individual actions can hurt or help the environment. For example: Does everyone remember the dolphin-safe tuna net campaign? People refusing to buy tuna that was caught with dolphin endangering nets forced companies to change their practice.

Economic: Beyond educating others I use my pocketbook/wallet. For example: I love swordfish steaks, but I have learned that it has been over-fished. I no longer buy swordfish steaks and encourage others not to do so either. Several local restaurants have stopped serving swordfish since the market has "dried up." Maybe if everyone stopped eating swordfish for a while then the population may rebound.

I also buy products from companies that give back to the community they get their resources from. If I can, I buy from companies that have known conservation methods in place, and I don't buy overpackaged products that pollute the environment.

Contribution: I give to organizations like the National Wildlife Fund and Arbor Day Foundation. These organization buy land to preserve it. In the case of the Arbor Day Foundation, the organization plants trees in my name where they are needed.

Promotion: I recommend companies and/or products that I know do good for our environment. For example, I do not use products containing Bleach. I have found alternatives and give friend sample to try themselves to also move away from harmful chemicals in the environment.

And, yes I recycle and use canvas bags whenever I can.
Am I a freak about it all? No. But when I can do something everyday, like recycle paper or not buy an overpackaged product, I know that I am helping to promote a better environment.

I CHALLENGE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME!

Starfish

"Ladies and gentlemen,I submit to you that my opponent is not worthy of my efforts in this debate and therefore, by default, I win. Thank you for attention to this matter"-is that what you mean to say, Rick??

I would "listen" and I always "listen to the facts" if you could provide me with any........but alas it's all puffery and swagger, smoke and mirrors, easy one-liners and moralist slogans....I would like to hear "just the facts"-do you have them??? or "just a reply"

Starfish's response is what I'm talking about...a little thought...a little little deed. I congratulate Starfish on his/her actions....it's the beginning of awareness.

Hunters pay 1.2 million a day in conservation. That kind of thing. I wish I didnt have to go. I would be a very good opponent. I've been in these a few times and normaly all that is said is. We have to agree to disagree. I believe that is what Rick is getting at.
Also the not buying saafood is good way to help. But I do love to eat oysters and shrimp.

See.....not buying seafood....you do your part...you know what I'm getting at. I just ask people to be where I am..on the first step....to just THINK about it. I really don't do much at all, I like to eat meat, I like to eat seafood..I don't do that much for the environment....maybe it's just the Catholic in me and I feel guilty.

You can get "Farm Raised" oysters, shrimp, salmon, trout, etc and leave the wild things wild.

Sorry Starfish,but if you check it out you'll find that farmed animals(shrimp,prawns,salmon)have an easily demonstrable negative impact on the environment.They are responsible for a good deal of estuarine destruction to make pens for these farms.And I personally challenge anyone who leans much further past Buffs conservation ethic to get rid of your car,computer and go live with the Amish or Aboriginal tribes of S.America.We all have impacts on the environment,Starfish hit the nail on the head .I vote with my wallet.I do not buy commercially caught fish,period.It is a poorly manage public resource.I am very ecologically sensitive,but a pragmatist as well.By the way a powerhead is the most ecologically freinly way to spearfish ,as there is fewer fish damaged but escaped.It does however have a great deal of potential for mis-use.Congrats on the civil tone of this discussion.:)

Back
Top Bottom