Will GoPro2 accessories fit on the GoPro3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got the 3 yesterday. Hero 2, lcd fits on the 3, with the backcover. So I think the backs interchange. The fronts case does not with the 2 cameras

Any lens accessories won't fit (internal & external filters - Backscatter, SRP, Oculus, etc). Backdoor is the same, so the floaty or vented door will fit. All mounts will fit as well, same mount. The thumb screw is the same size, this fits on it too. Anti-fog inserts have to be cut in half.

Hero 3 Black Edition: The housing case pressure rating hasn't changed since the "original" Hero was introduced. I've never had any problem with a GoPro housing. Use anti-fog inserts.

The wifi remote control makes setup a little easier, although it requires its own special USB charging cable (included).

I can't test the wifi video live view feature - firmware for the Black Edition is not expected until mid or late December.

The new case design includes a door latching mechanism with a spring loaded side lock to prevent the back from opening. Some divers found it disconcerting that water pressure at depth compressed the rubber seal around the door back, relieving pressure on the latch and causing it to become "loose" or to wiggle (but never to unlatch). Will not happen now.

The new smaller tighter case design together with the latch lock makes opening the housing more difficult because there is no longer any room to insert a finger under the latch to lift it up. More and considerable focused force is required to unlatch and I worry that the thin latch frame will crack or the hinge pin will bend. I tried to get a backup spare latch from GoPro but they refused, pointing me to the warranty (if it breaks we replace it) ... no comfort at sea on a liveaboard or in a foreign country.

No lens cap. Cable connector slots are now protected by a removable door (tiny, not attached to camera, watch it or you may lose it).

I haven't discovered anything about the H3 Black that will change how I use it in the water.

My concerns was the LCD back. Hopefully someone can answer this question without me having to start a new topic. Thanks for the responses though!

Old LCD back works with the hero3 black and fits the housing with the LCD back door or the same door as in the new batt bacpac.

The only issues with the LCD is there is no way of setting brightness level on the old screen and it looks stuck on medium. Seeing as the hd3 struggles on battery life anyway you wouldn't want it on max most likely but outside in bright light its hard to see the screen at this level. Underwater I have had no issues seeing it though and has worked fine.

As other have said everything thats not lens related will work as in bacpacs and mounts, I have heard people have had issues with the old battery bacpac though and not sure if this has been fixed with the firmware update as I dont have an old one of these.

---------- Post Merged at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:45 AM ----------

The new smaller tighter case design together with the latch lock makes opening the housing more difficult because there is no longer any room to insert a finger under the latch to lift it up. More and considerable focused force is required to unlatch and I worry that the thin latch frame will crack or the hinge pin will bend. I tried to get a backup spare latch from GoPro but they refused, pointing me to the warranty (if it breaks we replace it) ... no comfort at sea on a liveaboard or in a foreign country.

Regarding opening the housing I just use my thumb to slide the top latch over and then use the index finger on the top right corner to just give it a slight pull following the arrows on the latch. I find there is less pressure needed to open this then the old housing as long as you push the top pin across properly. If your needing lots of pressure to open maybe your not sliding the top pin out far enough.

I can easily open the housing this way stock standard or even with a 55mm filter attached on the new Blurfix adapter which doesnt have any effect on opening the latch.

Is a Blurfix filter needed with the Hero3?

I assume a red filter is still needed at depths below 20 ft or so? Suggestions?

Is a Blurfix filter needed with the Hero3?

I assume a red filter is still needed at depths below 20 ft or so? Suggestions?

You won't need a flat port anymore (Blurfix), as the housing was modified to address the underwater focus problem.

You will need a filter still, maybe not so much now because you might have better white balance flexibility. Alternatively to filters, you can use dive lights (expensive!). I'm not aware of any filters for the Hero3, SRP was working on one but I believe it's not out yet.

Thanks for the product reviews! We just got some in our stores and haven't had much time figure out the differences. Once again, SB has proven a great resource!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom