Will Spearfish for food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colsonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am taking the underwater hunter class with my dive shop, and we go diving off the Oregon Coast this weekend. Any advice or tricks of the trade you guys want to lend me is more than apreciated. I just can't wait to hit the water.
For now I have a 6ft. spearpole, but who knows, I just might get into spearfishing after this, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, Nick

the key to getting close to fish is "suttle movements" fish are far more perceptive than we are they will notice even a sudden eye movement. certain species have really learned to steer clear of divers especially if the have evaded a shot or 2 in their lives. also something that can help is keep a slim profile to their line of sight. be as small as possible to the fish you are persuing. meaning don't be showing them the largest possible profile of your body go straight towards them so they only see your head and shoulders and not your torso arms and legs. don't kick like a maniac use slow controled kicks. hope this helps I learned these methods from a commercial spearo.

i might have to use that method also... that sounds like it would work.... i yet to draw blood with my spear gun....good luck in ypur class

Develop excellent bouancy skills. Watch what other good spearo's do and then focus on getting back in the water to practice as often as possible. Enjoy your dives, but the more you dive & spear the better you will become. Tiger Woods didn't sink a hole in one the first time out. Plan your next dive trip while on this one with others.

I suggest starting off shooting small fish like sheepheads they are an easy kill. You also need one major bit of advise. everytime you pull the trigger check your air and after the fish is taken care of check your air. if you are in trouble with a fish and are low on air go up with the fish on the spear take care of it on the surface. so many people get into trouble spearing fish due to the fact that air consumption can go up drastically when in battle with a huge fish. don't shoot over your head or level of diving / spearing experience. many people have died doing so. also certain species of fish are notorious bad boys to shoot. ie. Cobia, Amberjacks, tuna, large grouper etc. and johnoly is right buoyancy is huge when setting up a shot on a fish. if you cannot control your buoyancy how will you get proper shot placement on a fish. another thing is this dont be using your inflator like a mad man that thing scares off the good fish. get it done and leave it alone.

An update for those that care:

My first time spearfishing on sunday was great. We had two instructors and two students, talk about a one on one. So, we fought the surge for about twenty yards and then set a float line. Dropped down and vis. was incredible. 15 FEET!!! On average this site has 5 feet, but is known for good spearfishing. After about a minute perch were all over, my instructor motioned for me to go at it, so I found a target, took aim and let go of my spearpole, first shot, nailed it. Unfortunately not a kill shot, but I held it against the rock so not to lose it, since my tip would not keep fish from wiggling off. I grabbed for my stringer, but the current felt otherwise. In short I lost the fish and had to fight the current to get back on the bottom. I went back at it and ended up with two fish, one perch and one greenling. Better than nothing, so we switched tanks and jumped back in. An hour later and five more fish, I was very pleased. Especially since I speared to largest greenling and won the t-shirt.

Overall, I love it, and I really like my spearpole.

Oh, and some others were in the area spearfishing, and some idiot went around shooting everything in site, including the only Wolf eel that lived there. He didn't even know the limits when we asked him...my instructor had a little talk with him... apparently he went to the dive shop the day before, bought a 38 special speargun, no instructions on what to do, and went at it. He almost got shot too, I was taking aim at a perch in mid water, when all of the sudden he came up behind it, lucky for him I saw his bubbles.

Between the four of us we got around 30 fish.

Thanks for the advice guys, in came in handy.
I plan to go back soon and get my limit.

Nick

the only way that you get better at spearfishing it to do it, and lots! think about what you are shooting at BEFORE you shoot at anything. you wouldn't believe how many times i have been out spearfishing and upon surfacing some idiot asks "is this fish good to eat", or " how do i cook it", after they have shot some fish. also, know exactly what fish is open and which fish closed to shoot by fish and game laws, as well as limits. they take their job seriously, you don't want them confiscating your dive equipment and tickiting you for some preventable violation. happy hunting, and good luck, ken

Another important consideration when spearfishing, especially on SCUBA in low vis situations is that you should buy a gun for the job. With low visibility having a high powered gun that fires a spear much farther than your visibility limits is dangerous. As on land, always know whats behind you. Mr. Cheney taught us that one.

Back
Top Bottom