Will this cable gland work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this on the dive light group, but no replies yet, so figured I'd ask here in case anyone can help.

I haven't been able to find anything like the sealcon fittings that everyone uses (I live in Borneo), but I have found one by a company called Gewiss. photos are attached.

The outer nut squeezes down the rubber ring around the cable. There is no O-ring included, so I would expect to add one that would go between the fixed nut and the outside of the maglight end cap. Would you put one between the free nut and and the inside of the end cap?.

The free nut is just a fraction larger than the inside diameter of the maglight cap, but I can grind that down, however I'm not sure how well I could hold it in place to tighten it down.

Be interested to know if anyone has used this sort of fitting before and, if not, whether you think this would work ok.

Cheers,

Justin.

Hay Justin,

It looks like it should work just fine. Make sure that the rubber seal fits snuggly around the cord and when you tighten the gland nut it should seal fine.

You should check to be sure about the suitability of this item for underwater application what the level of protection is. Most waterproof cable glands have an IP68 grade, sometimes associated with pressure limits. Maybe you should ask your dealer.

Scubacastor:
You should check to be sure about the suitability of this item for underwater application what the level of protection is. Most waterproof cable glands have an IP68 grade, sometimes associated with pressure limits. Maybe you should ask your dealer.

I tried asking the dealer, but this isn't the US, they don't have that sort of information easily available. It's from a little electrical shop in town. When I told him what I was using it for, there was just this blank look. I asked if it was waterproof, and 'Oh yes, yes' can i use it for diving "oh yes, yes" no-one likes to say no to anything here. I tied looking at the gewiss site, but couldn't find anything specific there, surprisinly, so trawled through radiospares, and found a similar gland that was IP68 grade, but they only show the thing as a whole, not the breakdown of how it actually seals.

I'll give it a try and see what happenss. At worst I'll be out a maglight endcap and a canister lid, as I'll be testing without the operational bits inside.

Cheers,

J.

Back
Top Bottom