Wing and backplate...Can someone please explain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread does an excellent job of explaining BP/Ws. Do I dare ask: Are there any drawbacks?

This thread does an excellent job of explaining BP/Ws. Do I dare ask: Are there any drawbacks?

What is served by asking such a question in this thread?

Are there no threads that discuss the pro's and con's of various BC types?

The OP asked for an explanation of BP&W's, not a debate on the relative merits.

Tobin

Other than the fact that they tend to bring out the surly in some folks who've never used one ... I haven't found any ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As an indication of the range of weighting, when I wear a SS BP, a 7mm wetsuit and an HP100, I only use a 2lb weightbelt (as opposed to the previous poster's 18). Try to borrow someone else's weights, or improvise.

The only drawback I can see with a BP/W with a one piece harness is its a pain to adjust. Once set up though there brilliant. I use one exclusively for my cold water diving.

They weren't meant for everybody to be able to use the same plate. You set YOUR gear to fit YOU. That's all the adjustment you should ever need.

They weren't meant for everybody to be able to use the same plate. You set YOUR gear to fit YOU. That's all the adjustment you should ever need.

That's not inconsistent with what Saudi said, is it? He just added that the adjustment is a bit of a pain.

BTW, you're both right in that you only have to adjust it once... unless you loose or gain a bunch of weight, possibly when you change thermal protection, or when you add bits and bobs if you don't go whole HOG, etc.

The only drawback I can see with a BP/W with a one piece harness is its a pain to adjust. Once set up though there brilliant. I use one exclusively for my cold water diving.

I've gone through a few harnesses for various reasons (new equipment, girlfriend trying stuff out, etc) and once you learn how to thread the harness and how it should fit you dry (here is a good link) the next time you are fitting a harness to yourself or another it goes much faster. I know for a fact that I can fit a harness in about 10 minutes right before a dive and it gets them "in the ballpark" to where they only have to adjust small increments to make it custom.

Peace,
Greg

I see this complaint a lot but I don't find it to be true. I can adjust my harness to fit anyone from my 5' 6" 110 pound daughter to my 6'2" 260 pound uncle in a matter of about 45 seconds.

What's so difficult about shifting D-rings, slides, and webbing? Am I just especially gifted at this because that seems particularly unlikely to me.

EDIT: For what it's worth I'm 6'1 170 pounds and the rig is usually sized for me.

Some systems are easier to adjust than others. Halcyon's new cinch-strap system is a breeze to adjust ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom