Wolf eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-4-life

Reaction score
hey u guys i just got my junior open water cert...YAY!! and iv recently dived a couple wolf eel dives, i dont know that much about them other then there pretty friendly, can some of u enlighten me with some wolf eel info :06:

Dive-4-life:
hey u guys i just got my junior open water cert...YAY!! and iv recently dived a couple wolf eel dives, i dont know that much about them other then there pretty friendly, can some of u enlighten me with some wolf eel info :06:
As you can see by my picture, I consider wolf eels to be pretty friendly too. At least where they are used to divers. My favorite spot for wolf eels is Ogden Point in Victoria. Near the end of the breakwater there are tons of them. On one dive I counted 10 of them. Some of the older males are 8 feet long and they can be territorial towards other males. I've seen them fight when one gets too close to another's den (it looked nasty, but no harm was done). They mate for life and I've seen the same pairs in the same dens for years. The males have larger, whiter heads and the females have smaller, darker and more streamlined heads. They lay eggs in their den in winter and guard them. During this time, the male sometimes opens his mouth wide to look tough and blocks the entrance to the den with his head. I've never been bitten or ever heard of anyone being bitten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom