Woman dead - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may qualify as elderly at 67 but my head is still in its twenties.

But have you noticed that "lifetime guarantee" no longer seems as impressive as it once did?

In my original post, I faulted the reporter for using the word "elderly." I would like to apologize to the reporter, who did not use that term.

In traditional journalism, reporters are frequently angry when they see their stories in print because the headline does not accurately convey the the main idea of the story. Reporters do not write headlines--a headline writer does. That writer is usually working in a hurry at the last minute, usually only reading the first paragraphs of stories while choosing words that convey that idea while fitting perfectly in the space available for it in the publication.

This is not quite the same thing, because in this online version of the story, no such care has been taken by whoever wrote the headline. that is common in online publications because the published version may look different on different computers. But even there, the headline writer did not use the word "elderly" and cannot be blamed.

The word only appears in the URL of the story. That means it was inserted by the technician whose job it was to put together the web site on which it appears. The word will not appear on the web site itself, just as it does not appear in this link to the story.
No, the word was not in the story, but yes - it was in the original headline, hence the url and the title in post #1. It's been changed since then.

Elderly is 15 years older than you are. So if you are 50, 65 is elderly. If you are 60, 75 is elderly, and so on. Howvever, if you are are 80 or more, you are old. period. So to some I am elderly and to some I am just a kid of 61 years. In any event, when I GO, I want to GO while diving. RIP.
DIvemasterDennis

No, the word was not in the story, but yes - it was in the original headline, hence the url and the title in post #1. It's been changed since then.

Really? I bet they had a bunch of complaints leading to the change.

Tom Mount, my rebreather instructor was 75 when I took my class this past Spring. If he is elderly at 75, then I am hopeless at 54.

In any event, when I GO, I want to GO while diving. RIP.
DIvemasterDennis
Yeah, it'd be better than they way many go. I've mentioned this in my "If I die diving" letter left with my daughter.
That's not what your buddy wants.
Yeah, it'd be a bummer for the buddy, the boat, the resort, etc. I've also mentioned in my letter that I wouldn't want anyone taking risks to retrieve my breathless body. If they can find it reasonably, ok fine - the US Consulate and my DAN dive insurance can send it along in time, no rush. I'd like a second autopsy stateside tho, just to ensure truth.

I hope y'all discuss my mistakes and learn something when I go.

Thank goodness i finally figured out how to unsubscribe to s thread. This is not a scuba diving accident. I will leave it at that.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

The reality is that Heart Attacks are more survivable on land than in water. If the goal of A & I is to prevent deaths.... understanding this fact is vital! If just one diver reads this thread, is motivated to go for a cardiac checkup and is able to discover an unknown issue while treatment is still possible :idk: hasn't the thread achieved it's purpose? The key is to keep on top of health issues before they contribute to unnecessary deaths...

Back
Top Bottom