Work for OWSI's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notscenerob

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Colorado, where the diving ain't so great
# of dives
Hi,
I'm contemplating making the big switch from S.E. Asia to the Carib. If anyone has worked on Roatan or Utila, can you tell me what the job market is like? Are there many courses taught, and how likely is freelance work for a newly arrived instructor?
I understand that immigration has been a hassle in the past, but it's comes in waves. What is the legal situation like at the moment?

I'd love to be closer to family and friends while working! I hear great things about the diving here, and I I understand life can be comparatively cheap.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
What is your citizenship?

Remember when cost of living is cheap, the pay is relative.

I'm a U.S. citizen these days.... been away for the past few years teaching around Asia (where we are paid well enough to have a simple, but good life, and put aside a few hundred US each month). (If)I head to Honduras, my transit will be my first time on U.S. soil in three and a half years. I'm looking forward to the southern food restaurant in the Atlanta airport on the required ATL stopover!

What sort of pay can instructors expect, and how is it structured? Any particular opportunities for an IDCS who's also a tech instructor?

On Roatan the pay is very seasonal and depends from shop to shop. It can be over $2000 a month at the busiest times under $1000 at the slowest. That would be 9-5 6 days a week.

Staffing opportunities are limited to unpaid experience gaining.

Tec is reasonably undeveloped and pretty much saturated, i know of no-one looking for tec instructors, there isn't enough work for those that are on the island at present!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom