Working in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rivermonkey

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi everyone
I am thinking of heading to the Bay Islands in search of work sometime in the near future (ie 3-4 weeks) and was wondering what the chances of finding something would be. I am a MSDT(nitrox, deep, etc) and former paramedic with work experience in the Carribean and Pacific(California and Costa Rica). Oh yes and I speak English and Spanish. Any suggestions, hints, tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Is it possible to just head there and start pounding the pavement in hopes of finding something? I am in Mexico atm so getting there isn´t a big hassle.

My big worry is the season....would Oct be a bad time to head there?

I love the bay islands and would love any chance to work there...somehow, someway! :huh:

Cheers
monkey

Hi River monkey,

I am writing from Utila and can tell you that Oct. is the slowest month of the year with many instructors looking for things to do. I might suggest delaying your trip until Feb.

Good luck,

Mark

Hi River Monkey

I am manager of cross Creek Dive Center on Utila. As Rom28 says it is the slowest time of the year from Mid Sept to December so i would not rate your chances to be honest!

Alot of people do leave over the course of september but the other problem you have is the huge number of IDC people that complete their IE each month here, usually over 15 each month.

Good luck, but if you have experience then you could try contacting the other managers by email first. Check out www.aboututila.com for info on the island. There are 12 shops here ranging from the tiny to the busiest shop in the carribbean.

Spanish is obviously a plus, experience is another plus.

Regards

Simon

OK guys thanks for the tips, I will try to contact some dive centers before I head down or perhaps wait till mid-Nov. or so. Thanks again for the info.

BTW Nice website Simon.

cheers
monkey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom