DMT - where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mar.aotw

New
Reaction score
Looking for input on where to do my dive master training. Based in Europe but willing to travel. My current favorite is Dahab, but I have been there 3 times last year so kind of aching to see something new – also looking to travel in March where water temperatures are on the cold side for me (21 degrees).

I am looking for a similar vibe to Dahab as I will also be working remotely part-time. I have been diving in Mexico (Cozumel, La Paz, Cabo Pulmo), Indonesia (Nusa Lembongan, Raja Ampat (Kri, Wai, Gam)), Zanzibar, Brazil (Ilha Grande), Thailand (Koh Tao, Phi Phi, Koh Lipe) and Philippines (Panglao, Dumaguete, Moalboal).

My favorites were (by far) Raja Ampat and Panglao, followed by some sites in Koh Lipe. I love a good reef and lots of fish action. I enjoy the diving in Dahab and appreciate the shore dives vs. long boat rides.

I have considered Utila but am not sure if it compares to Dahab, also heard about a lot of bleaching. I am not looking for a party vibe but at least a village-setting with some restaurants/cafes would be nice and maybe a place to have a drink on the beach. That would be the reason against Raja for the DMT. I am also considering Puerto Galera but have never been and wonder about the vibe there – is it comparable to Dahab? I am in my early thirties, female. Rescue diver with 100+ dives.

I have also required for the Bunaken area, but not done much research there.

Any pointers? Thanks in advance :)

Are you going for DMT training or tourism? Go where you will be working/teaching.

Personally, I'd go to where I can find the best training available.
I am doing my DMT without the intention to work on the job after. Looking to improve my skills and have the opportunity to stay somewhere dive-related for a month, if that makes sense. Of course I am looking for a reputable school, but working opportunities are not so important at this point.

I am doing my DMT without the intention to work on the job after. Looking to improve my skills and have the opportunity to stay somewhere dive-related for a month, if that makes sense. Of course I am looking for a reputable school, but working opportunities are not so important at this point.
Why would you spend the time, energy (and money?) doing divemaster if you do not intend to use the professional certification? There are many courses you could choose to improve or extend your skills while enjoying an extended stay at a first class dive location.

DMT isn't going to make you a better diver if that's what you are looking for here. DMT will, hopefully, make you a DM not a better diver per se.

You can do a NAUI "Master Scuba Diver" course for most challenging and educational recreational diver training or GUE's "Fundies" for improving some of your dive skills (or the like as long as the course/training you take has real "meat to it).

I see your points; lets say it gives me the ability to leave my options open if I indeed want to work in the industry at a later date, so I feel like it is worth the time/money and I enjoy learning new skills even if its not directly related to my own diving skills.

You’d be better off taking this question to the Girls That Scuba group on FB. It’s UK based, plus many UK members. There is unquestioning support to the many young things that want to run off to somewhere tropical, get their DM/instructor certs, and work for very low wages for a year or two. People who expressed concern that someone with 20 dives needed more experience were piled on or banned.

Back
Top Bottom