Worried about diving again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the advice to seek some professional counseling. As someone who did volunteer search and rescue for 10+ years any time we had a death the entire search team was immediately scheduled for group and, if necessary, individual counseling sessions. No ifs ands or buts about it. If you didn't attend the counseling sessions you were no longer permitted to participate in searches. SCUBA, unfortunately, has no such policy but I have talked with a couple folks about trying to institute such procedures at local shops and get a "consortium" together. The problem is that would mean agencies and shops would have to acknowledge the true dangers SCUBA poses to us, the divers.

OP, please seek some counseling, sort through your anxiety in your own time, and, if necessary, don't dive. There's no reason that you have to quit diving unless it's the right choice for you but there's also no reason you have to continue diving if it's the right choice you don't. Pushing either outcome is just going to make you a statistic without cause. Gradually working your way through to either outcome is the right way to do it.

I can totally identify with your fear and I put myself in a similar situation. I hadn't dived for years after a bad experience and booked a week long dive trip to Egypt!

I decided to start with a scuba review with a sensitive instructor then did my AOW on that trip. That did wonders for my confidence. I still get a bit anxious when diving, but I'm at the stage now where I am looking forward to it rather than it being something I feel I make myself do.

Take it slowly, speak to an instructor and dont be embarassed that you are anxious, hiding it is more likely to cause problems than being up front. I'm not long back from a marvellous trip to the Philippines and explained to the DM leading the dives that I was a bit worried re past experiences, they were very patient with me and I really felt that I made big progress again. I'm off to Egypt again next week :yee haa: and looking to improve some more :)

All the dive trips I've been on so far, have involved more training (drysuit, AOW, nitrox) I think my next course will be rescue diver. Its my way of charting my progress and building my confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom