Worst Time of Year for Bugs on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmmkiwi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to CCV last year and absolutely LOVED it there aside from the bugs. Covered myself in bug spray constantly, but still got a couple few bites. Can't wait to plan another trip there though, beautiful diving. Just wanted to get an idea from the local divers on Roatan when is the worst time of year for the bugs on Roatan? When is it the hottest time of year in Roatan? I'd like to try and plan a trip to avoid the super hot heat and/or bugs.

Or maybe better question is when is the best time of year to visit Roatan for some awesome diving?!

bugs can be bad anytime of year, it really isn't specific to seasons. I have heard they are particularly bad after lots of rain, but don't know if that really matters either.

hot... anytime during Aug-Oct the air temp and water temps highest. It will be the most humid then, too.

Or maybe better question is when is the best time of year to visit Roatan for some awesome diving?!

The unique zone that you are about to visit again has "awesome" stuff 24/7/365. It's all in the details, the little stuff that is very specific to that 4 mile stretch of shoreline.

If I had to pick one "best moment" to see the water column "come alive", it would be the moonlit week periods in August. This is generally true of most of the Caribbean, it's when those icky Blood Worms appear on night dives.

The grocery store is open for business.

I put my 16 watt light, straight-up in the sand, and waited 30 seconds. This looked like a swarm of bugs in the blackness around a porch-light:

8b13-1.jpg

Everything out there is either swimming to eat or swimming to mate. From microscopic to the "larger" stuff it attracts. And so on...

We went the last week of Feb, no bug issues, 6 of 7 days were in the 80's and sunny, water temp 77-78 degrees. I don't know if that is best or we just got lucky. I do know March is one of the lowest average rainfall months, and the rainy season is said to typically end by mid-Feb.

There is no better time of the year, just depends on many factores.

I went to CCV last year and absolutely LOVED it there aside from the bugs. Covered myself in bug spray constantly, but still got a couple few bites. Can't wait to plan another trip there though, beautiful diving. Just wanted to get an idea from the local divers on Roatan when is the worst time of year for the bugs on Roatan? When is it the hottest time of year in Roatan? I'd like to try and plan a trip to avoid the super hot heat and/or bugs.

New to this board but have plans to visit Anthony's Key Resort 4/17-4/23 on Roatan.
Wife is non-diver but dolphin encounters and shopping, rain forest tours will be good for her.
Wondering if anyone here has visited that resort and how I can find out current water temps for deciding on suits to pack. My experience is 50+ dives so am looking forward to warm water (Certified in Pacific NW, brrrrrrrr!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom