Worth the Drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing y'all are based somewhere around Ft. Worth. (am I good or what?)

Possum Kingdom (PK) is probably alot closer than Clear Springs or Athens. I'm not sure what the Dive shop charges since I've always been on a boat when I've been there, but I think it's way cheaper than $20 a pop.

PK is pretty much the same as Lake Travis - at least the 4 times I've been to Travis. You can hang out along the edges if you want to stay shallower, or you can venture out just a bit and hit some deeper water. Both lakes get colder the deeper you go.

You can camp at PK. In fact we're all getting together at the end of this month out there. (see the PK thread on the TSDT main page)

Welcome to the SWAMP

Oops forgot the links.

PK
Athens
Lake Whitney

FortWorthDiver,

I would like to add if you’re a bit shy or what not.. Not to worry a few of us are gonna be meeting these umm characters for the first time at the P.K. trip (myself included). So, you will not be the only one hanging 10 ft back, wearing the same expression as a deer has on its face when a truck approaches at a speed of 50mph with high beams on...

Ok cram... not type paragraphs about peoples expressions as they meet groups of long standing buddies for the first time...cram... finals good board bad...

This leads to a second suggestion. My other suggestion is run! This place is hard to stay away from after a while, it is addicting. Especially at moments when you are doing things you would rather not..

Thanks for the advice y'all - look forward to meeting ya.

Tooth - does the thermocline ever warm up at Clear Springs, or is it always a shock and a half?

As far as PK goes on the 31st I will see if I can open up my schedule and get out there, sounds like a good time.

The second thermalcline at CSSP is always cold. Consider this, the springs are snowmelt off the Ozarks. I konw of a geologist that tracked the source of the fault that feeds CSSP.

PK and Travis are probably easier drives for you, and cheeper to dive. There are a number of us around here that really like CSSP especially over Athens. I just don't like dead lakes. I like fish.

Blue Lagoon isn't much better.

Come out and Join us at PK. It should be a big time.

TwoBit

The summer temp below the first thermalcline is normally in the mid 60's to about 71* (Log book reference)

The second tends around low 60's to upper 50's.

The first thermal is typically around 20-25 feet and the second is typically around 40. In the summer many of the fish hang between the first and the second.

Vis gets better between the first and the second.

If I know I am going to be below the second or spend time belowthe first I am normally in my 6.5 with a hood, but then again I get cold easily.

Now that I can, its tempting to dive CSSP dry year round.

If you are making Houston or South Houston in 4 hours, you may want to consider Balmorrea. It won't be much over 5. Its clear, shallow, and has nice camping from what I understand.

Good luck,

TwoBit

Two bit

thanks for that of the levels of CCSP

FTworth yeah the thermoclines are alittle abrupt but as the summer goes along it gets better. by the end of summer there are like 3-4 (40-50, and depending if its been a real warm summer 50 + is were the 4th is )thermos at CSSP (each getting colder) but the bottom of the lake is always in the lower 60's

like the sunday before last i was in a 5mm hyperstretch and 5mm hood and was fine, now on the deep section (were its 60 feet) it was inthe mid 50's and it wasnt that bad but once we came up to a around 30 - 35 feet it was alot better. but if you do go into the second thermo in the lake once you come back up to the first it will be either real nice or you will feel like your in a hot bath

FWIW

I like the Blue Lagoon I went thier the last 2 Saturdays the water temp was 72 the vis was 15-30 throughout the day.

the past couple of weekends and the viz has been pretty good overall. The water's still on the cold side. BRRRR. We've been wearing as many layers as possible, plus hoods and gloves, to try to stay warm.

It ends up being about a two hour drive for me, (each way) coming up from San Antonio, but I feel that it's totally worth it.

(I am just a dive addict...I'll admit it......I'm enrolled in a 12-step program.....LOL)

Umm, Victoria, I make the run from Houston to LT, and my buddies often want to get started at 9 in the morning. But I'm there.

Did you mean 2 hours total, as in there and back? I get to LT from Houston in 2 1/2 hours. Of course, there's not much traffic when I'm getting there at 9 a.m. Not on a Saturday or Sunday morning, anyway. The drive back, for some reason, seems longer.

It's Twin Lakes for me this weekend, though. No hall pass for Austin.

Balmorhea springs in balmorhea texas supposely has 40-80 ft visibility, has a max. depth of 25 feet, alot of fish,turtles, plants, etc. and only cost 3 dollars to dive. The only problem it's a 8 hour drive from dallas.

Aquarena springs in san marcos south of austin supposely has 50 plus feet visibility, max depth of 25 feet, a bunch of fish and plant life, and it's closer about 4 hours or less from fort worth. the only problem, you have to sign for their program. you must be certified by the SWT Continuing Education department. This certification takes one weekend, costs approximately $200 ($160 if you bring a group of eight divers or more.

Back
Top Bottom