Worthington LP tank galvanized available capacities ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forums with factory reps ROCK! Thanks for the straight answer Mike :)

XS SCUBA, what are the yield and burst pressures for the Worthington LP cylinders?
TIA

XS Scuba:
Hi Peter C:
Yes, you are correct. All Worthington steel cylinders (13 models) manufactured after approximately November 2005 have a Hot Dip Galvanized finish. For approximately the six months prior to that only the LP Series was available (LP85, LP95, LP108 & LP121) these were manufactured with a painted (white) finish. At that time we were still setting up the galvanizing process. If scubafanatic was to check the hydro date of the painted white cylinder he would find a 2005 year manufacture date.

Thanks for the clarification XS! I was curious about the discrepancy between some of the Sea Pearls / Worthington literature I have seen and the actual Worthington cylinders that I and others at the LDS have bought.

pescador775:
XS SCUBA, what are the yield and burst pressures for the Worthington LP cylinders?
TIA

Do you really think that he is going to tell? Even if it is well beyond the +++ pressure I doubt that he is going to tell. If he did and somebody decided that it was ok to pump up a tank to +++ pressure and the tank fails...LAWSUIT.
Well judge it is like this, I was on Scubaboard and a XSScuba rep said that their tank burst pressure was less than what I had my tank pressure at. I figured that it was ok to pump them up to that pressure even though they aren't suppose to be. It was below the burst pressure that XS Scuba said, so I must have a defective tank. I really need the money now to replace my arm and leg.

Not bashing you but lets think about this for a minute.

Good to know about the galvanized issue since my next tanks will be Worthingtons. Now all I need to do is quit buying other scuba toys.

pescador775:
The yield and burst pressures of the Worthington LP cylinders are exctly what is required by DOT under the classification 3AA for 2400+ (2640psi). Not any less and not anymore. The maximium fill pressure stamped in the shoulder of these cylinders is exactly that, the maximum fill pressure. They are not "overbuilt" to safely be pressurized beyond 2640. If they were I would have steel removed and reduce my cost.

If your arguemnet is the the DOT is too conservative and require too great a safety margin, it's an arguement to take up with the DOT.

My purpose is not to bash anyone here, though there is this big myth that LP steel cylinders are safe to overfill. It's flat not true.

XS Scuba:
pescador775:
The yield and burst pressures of the Worthington LP cylinders are exctly what is required by DOT under the classification 3AA for 2400+ (2640psi). Not any less and not anymore. The maximium fill pressure stamped in the shoulder of these cylinders is exactly that, the maximum fill pressure. They are not "overbuilt" to safely be pressurized beyond 2640. If they were I would have steel removed and reduce my cost.

So much for tank hydros at 5/3rds of working pressure. :sarcasm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom