Would a "chicken vest" work for NY scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, was just complaining today to a fellow diver that I hate how restricted I feel in my 7mm Farmer Jane and Hood. Hard to move (feel like Michael Keaton in the original Batman), and have really restricted arm and neck movement. He mentioned to me that maybe I'd be better off with a chicken vest under a jumpsuit. Given NY temps, could I maybe get away with that, and my 3/5 Henderson jump suit?

Thanks for any information!! :D

A 3/5 jumpsuit has no real use at this point in your season.

I enjoy a 3/5 (torso/hood) chicken vest under my 7mm Arctic Jumpsuit from mid July to late August here in Maine, even more-so in shallow fresh water. Even on the mid Atlantic it's probably a little early to call it an ideal configuration.

At this stage a hooded Step-in vest over a jumpsuit is my preferred wet configuration. If that's not enough wait or go dry. For me it's a nice way to dive down to 50F.

Pete

Here in RI I've been using a 7mm farmer john hyper flex suit with a 2mm hood vest 5mm gloves, since the beginning of April. I was comfortable in 42F water.

If you continue to develop / explore diving in NYC - you'll eventually want to move to a drysuit. The benefits being flexibility, ease of on/off, SIT time venting & best of all - staying warm.

That being said during the summers in NYC I would wear a 7mm full wetsuit for dives above 60ft. It starts becoming drysuit time around mid Oct.

X

Back
Top Bottom