would appreciate a few opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got approx 120 dives on my Bare Nexgen drysuit with fairly lofty Bare underwear. I do need the underwear ( which does work ) to keep relatively warm in the chillier waters up here, so I'd rather not change the underwear. Problem I've had since day 1 is I have trouble venting the suit. ( removing the air upon ascent ) I have wrapped duct tape ( lightly ) around my underwear on my arm ( under the vent ) to stop the underwear from interferring with the vent, so I don't think that's the issue. Plus the vent has been removed, cleaned, ( wasn't dirty or gorped up with anything ). I will admit that the vent is more on the inside of my shoulder as opposed to the outside, so getting it in the right position to vent is a problem. But I can get it to vent if I work at it, burping my arm. Every dive has been with the vent completely open, not even 1 tick closed.

As I say, I can vent the suit if I work at it. Left side. The problem is I can feel air trapped on my right ( non vent ) side of my upper body. I have enough experience to know I have to vent, I can feel that I need to vent, just can't get rid of the last bit of air on my right side. It's probably a combination of air in the suit as well as air in the underwear. It's a real struggle . My BCD is empty by this point. I know it's the air in my suit as I can feel it.

A non diving friend of mine ( to whom I was whining ) suggested that I install a vent on my right arm. Never even dawned on me . Not the sharpest pencil, you know. If I do this install, I'd make sure it was in a better position than the one on my left arm that came with the suit. More on the outside of my shoulder, but that is a minor point.

What I'd like to know is " does anybody see any issues with another vent on the other arm " ? Obviously, I'd have to be aware of it when gearing up, But I can't see any problems with this idea. Do you ? Thanks for any comments .

I've got the Tech Dry, with Bare 100 and 200 wt. underwear, and have not had any problems venting the suit. I only have about 30-40 drysuit dives, so I'm not an expert. Maybe you could get a local instructor to dive with you and watch your technique when ascending/venting. Also check you your suit/underwear for issues. Good luck.

Darrell

I have never had any trouble getting air to migrate to the left arm to be vented. I would highly recommend going diving with somebody who can observe what you are doing, and perhaps even video you, so that you can see where the issue lies.

If the dump valve is sufficiently misplaced, you may really have to contort to vent. I had a custom suit where the dump ended up more or less on my chest, and the only way I could vent the suit was to go vertical and lean backwards. Needless to say, that wasn't a configuration I was willing to dive.

Have the valve replaced if you're that concerned. In the end you have to realize that you're dealing with a rubber diaphragm in that valve that's ~3/4" in diameter... only so much gas can escape at once. My guess is that you're waiting too long to realize you need to vent and then when it matters, it's not happening fast enough.

The previous recommendation to be video'd is a good one.

For you to have air trapped on the right I can't help but wonder how tight you have the harness. Surely to goodness that air would move around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments everyone. TNRonin, I tried to loosen the harness, didn't make a difference. It was so loose one dive you could stick your fingers between the strap and my shoulder. Mathauch0814, I really don't think it's a valve problem . I think it 's a location problem. As Ron Frank says, roll to the right and vent. Doesn't work very well for me. I'm not the biggest person and the valve sits just above my left breast. ( the rest of the suit feels great though and fits ). As TSandM mentions, going vertical and backwards sorta works, but there are a lot of contortions involved. I do like the idea of an observer and someone to make suggestions. That will be next on the adjenda. Thanks again

Holy $%^&. Sorry to get this thread going again, but what a difference. After all these dives, I finally gave up on my old exhaust valve in my drysuit after struggling for a long time. I should have listened to you earlier Mathauck0814. As I had mentioned, I really didn't think it was the valve. I replaced my old Sitech ( ? spelling ). It's standard on the Bare NezGen. I got a new Viking valve. $ 85 . Wow, I roll, the air escapes. I get vertical and the air comes out like the geyser at Yellowstone. Amazing difference. Warms my heart every time and I try not to smile. This has improved my diving and confidence tremendously. There is no longer any anxiety as I ascend, worried about trying to vent. I can hang at 5 ft if I want. Unheard of previously. My LDS sent the original back to BARE and they said it had the wrong type of foam insert. Too dense. Yes, I had a couple of LDS check my valve previously . They had said it's fine. It all makes sense now. Should have done this quite a number of dives ago. I have ran into 2 others with the same valve, same issues. One changed his valve. He convinced me to change mine. The other has just kept on trying to work with his. Thinking of changing his now. Thanks for all your help. Think I'll go for a stress free dive now......

Back
Top Bottom