Question Would there be issues servicing a Japanese-made dry suit in the US or Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GBP:USD is 1:1.22

Screenshot_20231017_164746_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Man that’s a solid deal, it’s looking like I could get one for about $800ish

Man that’s a solid deal, it’s looking like I could get one for about $800ish
Don't sell yourself short. Get user replaceable seals (kubi rings are bulletproof and simple & the sitech quick neck). Build the suit to last you a long time... a pee valve in a dry suit means you aren't stressed trying to get out in time and rushing the zipper. Relief zippers are a gimmick and in the wrong location (think belt buckle height running horizontal) and offer one more place to leak.

You can order a Seaskin with no options at all and have a fully functional suit…but, some options really pay for them selves with a valve being topping the list (if you use it, some people get weird about glueing something to their junk but it’s so worth it especially for us old people) followed closely with the seal systems like the quick neck and wrist seals that can accommodate dry gloves in the future even if you don’t think you need them now. All of the add ons can be added later but never at the price that Seaskin offers while building the suit.

the current exchange rate used to be my target rate, last years crazy low rate was a fluke and prompted me to buy my third Seaskin suit to replace my first which I used for about 8 years.

The above should say “a pee valve topping the list”

sometimes my auto fill and this sights software do weird stuff, I should have proof read it.

I think the biggest problem you’ll run into with servicing is that it’s a metric suit being used in an imperial country.

Otherwise spend your deneros as you see fit and as exchange rates benefit you. It’s not that drysuits are a complicated piece of technology per se, it’s just attention to detail and quality of assembly that makes the difference. I believe many donestic dry suit manufacturers can service metric drysuits, so if you needed a zipper replaced you could get that done.

Probably the biggest thing would be the overall quality of the trilaminate material itself. There are varying grades with respective costs.

Warranty may not be good for much since the cost to ship it back internationally may outweigh the cost to have it repaired locally.

Maybe check the regional Facebook groups for that market and see what people there think of it?

You should not have any issues repairing a suit if you reach out to a reputable outfit, like Stay Dri Scuba.

If in doubt, reach out to them before buying a suit to see if they're familiar with the brand and what to watchout for.

Don't sell yourself short. Get user replaceable seals (kubi rings are bulletproof and simple & the sitech quick neck). Build the suit to last you a long time... a pee valve in a dry suit means you aren't stressed trying to get out in time and rushing the zipper. Relief zippers are a gimmick and in the wrong location (think belt buckle height running horizontal) and offer one more place to leak.
yo, so i'm looking at Seaskins right now. Plan is to learn to dive it in okinawa, but in a couple years, I'm planning on moving back to the Sound.

The divers in Oki roll w. membrane suits from what I've seen, but the "cold" water here is 70-72.

Which would be better for the Sound and the Strait? I'll primarily be diving the Sound. I will also be making trips up to Victoria and diving in the kelp forests, as well as heading to the cascades to dive some of the lakes. My concern is durability of the suit poking around in the craggy environments of the Sound.

I'll be using my BPW and Jetfins. I don't skip leg day either, so how big of a weight difference are they talking?

Portability and versatility aren’t tremendously high on my list, I drive when I go to Canada, and I’ve got a 3mm and a 5mm for non-frigid water. This is going to be a COLD water suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom