Would you recommend DAN insurance if road-tripping within United States?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carmensandiego

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, newly minted Open Water diver here.

I'm going to be driving to Tennessee soon and doing quarry diving there. Should I (can I?) use DAN insurance for this, if I'm traveling from D.C. to Tennessee? The DAN website makes it look like the insurance is mainly set up for divers flying out of the country...

I always get travel medical insurance when leaving my local area in the US for vacation in other parts of the US or out of the country. Essentially anywhere that the hospitals are out of network as defined by my health insurance plan. But not through DAN. That’s diving only.

I'm not confident that my health insurance would cover things DAN covers.

I am confident that DAN covers your diving regardless of where you are diving. However, travel and medical insurance outside of diving should be covered another way. If you have universal insurance that is covered in most areas it is not an issue, if you don't than get a travel policy.

Hello, newly minted Open Water diver here.

I'm going to be driving to Tennessee soon and doing quarry diving there. Should I (can I?) use DAN insurance for this, if I'm traveling from D.C. to Tennessee? The DAN website makes it look like the insurance is mainly set up for divers flying out of the country...
Are you asking about DAN Accident Insurance or DAN Travel insurance? They are different policies.

Are you asking about DAN Accident Insurance or DAN Travel insurance? They are different policies.
Oh yikes, I forgot about the distinction - thanks for asking. Since I'm mainly concerned with diver accident/injury while underwater (rather than the normal accidents/risks for people above ground, I guess...), I believe its Accident Insurance, right?

I am confident that DAN covers your diving regardless of where you are diving. However, travel and medical insurance outside of diving should be covered another way. If you have universal insurance that is covered in most areas it is not an issue, if you don't than get a travel policy.
Whew! Thanks!!!

Oh yikes, I forgot about the distinction - thanks for asking. Since I'm mainly concerned with diver accident/injury while underwater (rather than the normal accidents/risks for people above ground, I guess...), I believe its Accident Insurance, right?
Yes.
I believe ALL divers should have DAN Dive Accident insurance.

I road trip around the US to dive and I’ve had DAN dive insurance since right after I got certified in 2016.

I road trip around the US to dive and I’ve had DAN dive insurance since right after I got certified in 2016.
That's awesome! (I can't quite afford travelling to exotic islands every year but I want to keep honing my skills so quarries seem like the best way to go)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom