Would you take your boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a 17 ft fish/ski that I use in freshwater. I've been asked several times by different people if I've ever taken it to the ocean. I've never considered it, however, there are several dives that are very close to shore in PC. If the weather were right, I might consider taking it out. My question is for those more experienced in salt water boating... would you take it out? My particular boat is a 1995 17 ft fish/ski with a 3.0L Mercruiser and Alpha 1 outdrive. Am I just plain crazy for even thinking about it, or is this a viable option for cheap diving?

I shot red snapper on inshore wrecks out of Gulf Shores... off a bass boat.

No ****.

I'm that stupid.

Odds are you would be fine. However, I personally have been on the water enough to say not just no, but hell no..... its an insanely bad idea. Probably on par with running through an intersection red light at 60mph. Probably gonna be fine since you should be able to see something coming........

In south florida I considered a 20ft Vhull the smallest boat that i would be willing to take off shore, just due to the unpredictability of sea states from hour to hour. You would be amazed how quickly flat calm can turn into 6 footers......That being said, I have seen 15ft Flats skiffs 25 miles offshore trolling for Mahi.

I should add... I would do it, just inshore and pick your day(and leave early).

I should add... I would do it, just inshore and pick your day(and leave early).

But I have no doubt you could swim to shore, underwater with 1/2 of an AL 80 from 3miles out, knifing flounder on the way in.

I/O's don't belong in saltwater regardless of size. (From someone that has had to use a saws-all to remove them.)

I believe you answered my question before I knew to ask it. I don't think I've seen too many I/O's in the ocean, at least not the variety that I have.

I'm sure everything that floats has been used as a dive or fishing platform at some time or another, I just didn't know the wisdom of using my boat in the ocean. Thanks for the opinions, and please keep them coming! I think I have my answer, however, I'm sure some of you have some good stories to tell on this subject.

I run I/O 's in salt 10 hours a day 7 days a week for testing purposes. If they are flushed and maintained properly they last just fine. What do you think 95% of the parasail boats around here are? I also have had an I/O sitting in the water for 6 years. I pull it out once a year and clean and paint both the drive and bottom. Other than the problems every one else has I dont have that much of a problem.

After thinking a bit I will say that I have dove these waters for over 25 years in everything from an 18 foot Hughes Redfish, a 16 foot carolina skiff, and even a kayak on some limestone off Destin. Heck I even dove the boxcars off a surfboard when they were here. Anything I could get gear in or on. I will admit that it is not a very good idea to go 30 miles offshore in a 17 foot boat but then we all cant afford a new 36 Newton. Saying all this I believe if you are careful and pay attention to the seas and as Bugman said leave early, I dont see why you cant dive off a 17 foot I/O to some of the things within a few miles of the pass. Hell even jetskis go that far. If you are trailering it and not leaving it in the water for ever and cleaning it good then what is the difference? That is just my opinion and as you all know I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I believe you answered my question before I knew to ask it. I don't think I've seen too many I/O's in the ocean, at least not the variety that I have.

I'm sure everything that floats has been used as a dive or fishing platform at some time or another, I just didn't know the wisdom of using my boat in the ocean. Thanks for the opinions, and please keep them coming! I think I have my answer, however, I'm sure some of you have some good stories to tell on this subject.

Can't say for the Ocean But as for the Gulf here at Orange Beach and Gulf Shores I see them about every day the water is decent. And I work on beach side 365 days a year. Pick your days and watch the weather and I would have no problem taking one out to three mile Barge or closer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom