Wow !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man whoever taught those dudes how to dive should have their Instructor's card revoked.

Apart from lacking some very basic skills, their dive was a bit a CF from the get-go. The Lily in an a very strong current area, and straying away from it without a plan is probably not the best idea.

So many things wrong with these divers, I cannot even begin to start to list them.

Wow. This was a white knuckle dive from the very beginning. You could feel it in the way he pulled himself down the line and then::: PANIC! A diver's got to know their own limitations and these two exceeded theirs.

I don’t what to post! Guess it was good they are from a church; divine intervention was sorely needed there. My favorite part was @ 8:40 when MacDonald began to fall asleep at 100ft! The text clearly states that he is getting nervous and narcolepsy is setting in! He must be some cool diver to get nervous and fall asleep!

narcolepsy: a condition characterized by frequent, brief, and uncontrollable bouts of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by hallucinations and an inability to move

I would urge these people to give up diving and take up being couch potatoes. They are a dange to anyone in the water with them.

For those who dont know, the Lily Parsons rests at somewhere around 50' but the mast extends way out to about 90'. If you head down the mast and keep going or get caught in a current there's a dropoff that goes to about 160'.

I cannot even begin to start to list them.
Well first off they went into the water...

The text clearly states that he is getting nervous and narcolepsy is setting in!
My guess would be that the text was autocorrected to "narcolepsy" from "narcosis".
Narcolepsy on scuba would mean you are literally (and figuratively) be sleeping with the fishies.

P.S. Scubaboard apparently has this nifty feature that saves your reply when you accidentally close the window. Cool!

P.S. Scubaboard apparently has this nifty feature that saves your reply when you accidentally close the window. Cool!
I was thinking of you when I coded that in. :D

It's easy to be incredibly hard on these divers, but I think that's an injustice. Panic can happen in anyone, given the right conditions. Look at how many times he cleared his mask once he got to the bottom. I could feel his fear building through the camera. His biggest sin? He didn't honor his limits. Either he didn't recognize them or he ignored them. For me, the big take away from this is a modified quote from Dirty Harry: A diver's got to know his limitations. Diving is all about limits. Time, depth and gas are the biggies and we plan our dives around those three. But then there are the more esoteric limits of physical abilities, stamina, experience, training and I could go on. His knuckles were getting whiter and whiter until his thumb hit the "UP" button. He saw that as his "Get out of Jail, Free" card while the rest of us are holding our collective breaths waiting for him to stroke out.

Go slowly. Don't let your friends talk you into something you don't want to do. Call the diver earlier rather than later. NEVER disparage someone for doing just that either. Praise them for being wise and bailing. If you're not comfortable, find an instructor who can help you get comfortable. It's really not that hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom