Wreck fatality near Point Iriquious, Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many of you may have heard on the news, we had a divefatality on Monday, June 25 at Whitefish. To keep the gossip to a minimum here are the facts. The news reported that these wererecreational divers on a wreck that is 175' deep. This is wrong. These were trained technical divers on thistrip. The diver that passed was with hisdive buddy. There profile was fine andthe dive went well until the ascent. DYbecame entangled in the line and his buddy untangled him. They ascended and completed their 70' stopwhen DY began to drop with no regulator in his mouth. His buddy attempted to catch him but couldnot go any further due to limited gas supply. The Michigan State Police recovered DY on Tuesday. He had 800 psi in double 100's for back gasand 1500 psi of O2 for deco on him when found. Also no reg in his mouth. According to the State Police all gear appeared to be workingproperly. They are suspecting some sortof health event was the cause and are doing an autopsy. This is an unfortunate accident and DY'sbuddy did the right thing or there would have been 2 gone. DY was a friend and will be missed by all whoknew him.

Thanks for clarifying Capt Brian - other media reports made it sound the diver was not noticed missing for a short time, then noticed when the others were ascending looking down... anyways, terrible all around.

Reading the comments under the 2nd article that was linked, makes me want to punch people in the face:(

This is really sad!!

blame the newspaper, they should moderate the comments posted...but i guess they got their story and don't care anymore

Oh, and for the record, it's (Point) Iroquois.
Thanks. I just don't correct spelling in any quotes normally, not quoting posts or news stories. Can't promise that I would have noticed unless spell check did tho.

We, as divers know the risks. When you get a little older as this man was, the risks increase. I dove the Mather when I was 48 on air. Everthing went well but the depth on air is significant and it was quite exhausting for me. Proper planning MIGHT have prevented this, who knows? I respect the man and his desire to live life to the fullest.I am sure he will be missed. His buddy will feel bad enough without anyone second guessing what happened.
Mike
I was older when I started. :idk: Well, my record of screw ups survived is not admirable, and I'm certainly not as well trained and equipped. I'd rather die diving that in an easy chair tho. I'd hate to ruin a dive trip for the others onboard, but dang it - we all knew. If I took a hit on a hard hike in our canyon park, it'd be dramatic on my family and hard on the rescuers/recovery team, but I'll still hike with my kids.

DY'sbuddy did the right thing or there would have been 2 gone. DY was a friend and will be missed by all whoknew him.
Thanks for the factual information. I do hope DY's bud is getting all the support possible.

blame the newspaper, they should moderate the comments posted...but i guess they got their story and don't care anymore
The comment section of such stories does suck, and it's good for their business - gets more hits. Unfortunate.

Even if his buddy had kept him from descending, I am not sure what he could have done for him. If they just finished the 70 foot stop, they would still have had a substantial decompression obligation left to wait out at the shallower stops before they could surface.

This thread and many other threads like it make me wonder if there are any studies on the amount of physical exertion it takes to dive and how it scales at depth? I know after 2 dives (on air anyway), I am pretty spent and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. Im 31, still running 5 minute miles, work out 3 times a week, run 3 times a week, etc. I'm more tired after 2 dives than I am after running 5 miles... Take an older gentleman who may or may not be in good physical condition and have him perform an "exercise" that is potentially more physically demanding then running 5 miles (for example), and you can see how health related issues might arise. I think an older gentlemen might say hell no if you told him to run 5 miles hard, but might not think twice about scuba diving because the perceived exertion is much much less, but the real exertion may be much greater.

Even if his buddy had kept him from descending, I am not sure what he could have done for him. If they just finished the 70 foot stop, they would still have had a substantial decompression obligation left to wait out at the shallower stops before they could surface.

This is my protocol on the matter, When I deep dive I dive with a Red Lift bag and a Yellow one. I tell the captain "If you see Red, get in the water ASAP". I would have deployed my red bag and inflated the BC of the non breathing Diver and sent him up. The way I look at it, if he isn't breathing under water he is guaranteed to die but if I send him to the surface he may get DCS and still be dead but at he also has a chance to get DCS and a pulse.

Daru

This is my protocol on the matter, When I deep dive I dive with a Red Lift bag and a Yellow one. I tell the captain "If you see Red, get in the water ASAP". I would have deployed my red bag and inflated the BC of the non breathing Diver and sent him up. The way I look at it, if he isn't breathing under water he is guaranteed to die but if I send him to the surface he may get DCS and still be dead but at he also has a chance to get DCS and a pulse.

Daru

Understand the circumstances may not have allowed this. If they were ascending and the deceased went negative before the buddy realized and was on his way down - gas supplies and deco obligations may have not allowed him to follow his buddy, get a bag on him and send him to the surface. Instead of one dead diver we'd have two. I pray I never have the situation where I have to make that choice. We shouldn't be judging the buddy on his choice to survive.

This thread and many other threads like it make me wonder if there are any studies on the amount of physical exertion it takes to dive and how it scales at depth? I know after 2 dives (on air anyway), I am pretty spent and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. Im 31, still running 5 minute miles, work out 3 times a week, run 3 times a week, etc. I'm more tired after 2 dives than I am after running 5 miles... Take an older gentleman who may or may not be in good physical condition and have him perform an "exercise" that is potentially more physically demanding then running 5 miles (for example), and you can see how health related issues might arise. I think an older gentlemen might say hell no if you told him to run 5 miles hard, but might not think twice about scuba diving because the perceived exertion is much much less, but the real exertion may be much greater.

Something that has been eating at me is that this is the second thread in a year where some seamingly unrelelated problem has occurred prior to a diver going unconcious. The last thread, the diver had broken a fin strip, and when his turned around from retrieving the fin, the diver was no longer concious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom