Wreck of the Havana between St. Joe and South Haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JEScholz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We dove the Havana today and located the float we put on it last year. Since someone cut the line late last year, we do not have a mooring on the site but there is a 5 Gal jug tied to a yellow nylon line to mark the spot.

The depth of the wreck is 50' and the coordinates are 42.11.731 X 86.25.637. Quite a bit of sand has shifted away from the wreck. There are more pieces exposed and many of the new pieces have no zebra muscles on them.

We had 25-30' of visibility today and low 40's bottom temps.

We dove the Havana today and located the float we put on it last year. Since someone cut the line late last year, we do not have a mooring on the site but there is a 5 Gal jug tied to a yellow nylon line to mark the spot.

The depth of the wreck is 50' and the coordinates are 42.11.731 X 86.25.637. Quite a bit of sand has shifted away from the wreck. There are more pieces exposed and many of the new pieces have no zebra muscles on them.

We had 25-30' of visibility today and low 40's bottom temps.

When do you think you will be going out again Jim?

-Dean

Not soon enough. It is a little further out than I want to take my inflatable without a back up. I will keep you in mind if we do hit it again.

The wreck is about 5 miles north of the St. Joe harbor and 1 mile off shore. The center trunk comes up about 3 feet off the bottom so it is hard to find if it is not marked. The GPS numbers are correct though.

Here is some history on the wreck and a drawing of what it looks like today from the MSRA web site. MSRA - The wreck of the Havana

ok, have a 18.5' ski boat and I might consider a mile, i was thinking you were talking 3-5 miles and that im not interested in w/o a bigger boat.

Thanks for the nice report.

We have our 25' Bayliner docked at South Haven now, and we will visit the Havana in the next couple weeks, although we won't dive it till the bottom temps are high 40's.

I will advise buoy status when we visit.

We got a nice look at the Rockaway with our underwater cam yesterday - just playing around. The 60' cable is just long enough.

Oops, need to change the Avatar to the new boat pic - thats the old 16' runabout.

With a 60' cable, you should be able to get a nice view of the Havana also. I am told that there are other pieces or the wreck in the area, but we have not been able to identify any of them yet.

Well over the Memorial Day holiday we floated the buoy on the HAVANA again. There is a medium line to moore to and a light weight yellow line to mark the wreck. Visibility was only about 10' on Saturday but there was a good current from the north stirring up the bottom. There is even more of the wreck visible this year than in the past.

Back
Top Bottom