wreck trip to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahound_1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my group is planning a trip to Florida in May and want to get some ideas of your favorite wrecks and maybe see if anyone wants to tag along.

Saw this pretty much by accident. You may want to try posting in the Florida Conch Divers Forum.

Florida is pretty big, where will you be staying?

gle:
Florida is pretty big, where will you be staying?

Boy a'int that the truth. It's 7+ hours from Jax to Key West and 9+ hours up the west coast to Pensacola.

Be more specific and we'll be glad to point you to the "good stuff".

~7 hours Jax - Key West, ~9 hours Key West - Pensacola? Um, what kinda of radar jamming system are you using, and where can I buy it. :D

if youre heading to Key Largo - Speigel, Duane and Eagle are all great - itz 100 miles from Key West (on a slow road, so would take about 2.5 to 3 hrs) and about 1.5 hours from Miami - if you're planning to stay in Key West, then Looe Key (20 miles down the road) is a nice place to dive (it has a marine sanctuary and also a wreck - the Adolphus Busch) - if you're heading to Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Pompano, or West Palm - they all have decent diving too. The Gulf Coast is not so great for rectrational diving - good for Spearfishing though - but there are some dive sites

I guess I should have been a bit more specific, yes we are planning to hit Ft. Lauderdale and Key Largo. Looking at using the IBIS up in Ft. Lauderdale and go with Joe Miller in the Keys. Put together a good deal to hit 11 wrecks in 5 days which leaves from LAX > includes airfare, hotel and diving for about $950 unless you want to use nitrox then it's a bit more. Mainly if someone could give me an general idea of the viz in mid-May that would be awesome, I heard the water temp is mid-70s around that time.

scubahound_1:
I guess I should have been a bit more specific, yes we are planning to hit Ft. Lauderdale and Key Largo. Looking at using the IBIS up in Ft. Lauderdale and go with Joe Miller in the Keys. Put together a good deal to hit 11 wrecks in 5 days which leaves from LAX > includes airfare, hotel and diving for about $950 unless you want to use nitrox then it's a bit more. Mainly if someone could give me an general idea of the viz in mid-May that would be awesome, I heard the water temp is mid-70s around that time.
With any luck, visibility will exceed water temperature! Visibility varies greatly on Upper Keys wrecks. The Eagle and Spiegel Grove typically feature lower viz than the Bibb and Duane. I'd estimate 30-70' as the range, generally, with a few days each year when the viz exceeds 100'. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom