Wrinkles January '06 Dive Planning Thread - La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat:
Hey thanks Rick and Robb! It's kind of like my first diving milestone. Robb - I could teach you by maybe reminding you of goofy stuff you used to do during your first year of diving, lol!!!

Just got back from Wrinkles, no time for a formal report now. I had to leave early, but conditions were actually really good! Vis was probably 20 feet, surf was only about 1 foot with an occasional 2. When I left, the sun was shining and everybody was barbecueing dogs! :sunny.

Nice ! Brandon and I couldn't make the Wrinkles dive ... we snuck in a quick dive at Fisherman's cove this morning.

I was great seeing everyone today. Those that came were treated to ankle slappers and about 20 to 30-foot vis depending on where the dive was.

I have to apologize to those of you who I took to try to find the Way North Wall. Talk about overshooting the mark!

For the rest of you that are familiar with the shores, here is what happened.

Since the sun was still barely coming up, the visibility for the lineups was based on a lot of guesswork. I had my depth finder, but started pinging the bottom when I thought we were coming to the trench before reaching the North Wall. We were actually over the peninsula between the North Wall and the Way North Wall. The depth went from about 70 feet to about 130 feet as expected and then started to go up again. I figured at this point we were over the peninsula and that when it started to go down again that we should drop down when it said we were in about 80 feet and then just drop over the wall. Of course, we had already passed all that.

We dropped down in 80 feet and it seemed like it was taking a very long time to get to the wall. Of course, it never came because we were over a huge underwater plateau. When we hit 100 feet we turned the dive toward shore and we thumbed the dive when a team member reached rock bottom. I figured out were we had gone when we looked at the bathymetric data after the dive.

By the way, from the time we hit surface after thumbing the dive, it took us over an hour to swim back to shore. Apparently, we had gone for about an hour on the way out too. However, since we were talking and having so much fun on the swim out, I guess we lost track of time. We were WAY out there!

This will be an "I remember when..." story for someone to tell their grandkids. It may be the California equivalent to the midwest's "...both ways uphill in the snow!"

Needless to say my legs are very sore and my little bottle of Aleve is my friend. :D

Now it's time to find a place to eat and see what adventures I can find for this evening!

Christian

headhunter:
I have to apologize to those of you who I took to try to find the Way North Wall. Talk about overshooting the mark!

Hey no need to apologize Christian! That was a cool dive anyway! Hope you don't get too wild in La Jolla tonight....:monkeydan

John

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I wasn't able to show up for the get together. I had to play chauffer for my daughter in which I had to pick her up in Anaheim Hills at 1pm.

I hear that the February Picnic will be on my 'Turf.' Too cool. I just did a cardio dive the other day that I coverd Divers/ Fisherman's/ and Shaw's Cove, had enough air to get all the way back to Divers and exited with almost 1000 psi after 66 minutes of dive time all on a itty bitty 72. :eek:)

I did Heisler Park Thursday night, and man...1000 bugs out and about crawling around. Big un's too! Remeber though, Heisler and Diver's are protected, so you bug hunters need to go to Fisherman's, Shaw's, or Cresent, ect.

Hope to see you then.

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I wasn't able to show up for the get together. I had to play chauffer for my daughter in which I had to pick her up in Anaheim Hills at 1pm.

I hear that the February Picnic will be on my 'Turf.' Too cool. I just did a cardio dive the other day that I coverd Divers/ Fisherman's/ and Shaw's Cove, had enough air to get all the way back to Divers and exited with almost 1000 psi after 66 minutes of dive time all on a itty bitty 72. :eek:)

I did Heisler Park Thursday night, and man...1000 bugs out and about crawling around. Big un's too! Remeber though, Heisler and Diver's are protected, so you bug hunters need to go to Fisherman's, Shaw's, or Cresent, ect.

Hope to see you then.

It was a good day of diving today, and nice to see everyone who could make it - I was able to round up a few hungry locals to make sure we ate all the hot dogs anyway!

Conditions were great and I was pleased to be able to show Christian the squid eggs and gorgonians at the secret gardens. There was mucho life to be seen today, including some huge sheep crabs (plus dozens of smaller ones), lots of moon snails, many, many nudibranchs including hermissenda and white spotted porostomes plus one I have never seen before - you can check out the photo and tell me if you recognise it. We even came across a couple of squid adding to the huge piles of eggs.

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/albums/diving/SanDiego//ShoresJan06/index.php

Peter

wetrat:
Hey no need to apologize Christian! That was a cool dive anyway! Hope you don't get too wild in La Jolla tonight....:monkeydan

John
I have a great time on every dive! I just felt bad that I took you all on a surface swim that was about twice the distance to the Way North Wall. At least I can say that we did go in the right direction. :D

It was a somewhat wild night at The Spot in La Jolla Village. If any of you get a chance to go there it's a very cool bar to hang out in. The bartenders are named AK and Nichole and are a lot of fun. If you guys go there, tell them that Christian sent you. As a reminder of who I am, tell them that I'm the scuba diver that was there when "Ed Sullivan" was yelling "Punch him in the neck!" That's all I'm saying! :11:

I went to Nine Ten for dinner. For the first course, I had some smoked salmon that they smoke there on premises. Then I had the breast of duck with a glass of Merlot from Australia (I can't remember the name of the vinyard). For desert, I had a chocolate "cake" that was more like a soufle with a gooey chocolate center. Everything was absolutely delicious and the wait staff was very attentive. I saw most of them at The Spot after they got off work. :wink:

The only thing missing on last night's crazy adventure was Shaka Zulu!

I just fell out of bed at the hotel at just after 10am and have a whole new bunch of memories to add to the book of wild "dive related" adventures.

I look forward to seeing you all at the Laguna Beach dive where surface swims will be kept to a minimum, since Deadman's reef is the furthest thing we'll swim to and that is only about one third the distance we went yesterday. :14:

Christian

Peter McGuinness:
It was a good day of diving today, and nice to see everyone who could make it - I was able to round up a few hungry locals to make sure we ate all the hot dogs anyway!

Conditions were great and I was pleased to be able to show Christian the squid eggs and gorgonians at the secret gardens. There was mucho life to be seen today, including some huge sheep crabs (plus dozens of smaller ones), lots of moon snails, many, many nudibranchs including hermissenda and white spotted porostomes plus one I have never seen before - you can check out the photo and tell me if you recognise it. We even came across a couple of squid adding to the huge piles of eggs.

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/albums/diving/SanDiego//ShoresJan06/index.php

Peter
Peter,

Thank you for your hospitality. That dive was the highlight of my diving day.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom