Wrist seal screw-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I'm having to confess to maybe getting too agressive with trimming my wrist seals.

Used the suit a couple times without trimming the wrist seals and they were too tight and extended too far down (over the wrist bones to base of my hand)... but dry.

Trimmed the wrist seals and sure enough I may have gone too far. After diving the suit last night I had damp forearms. Not bad but frustrating.

Any suggestions? I thought that perhaps I could just snug the wrist seals further up my arm to seal better?

I wonder if putting an elastic band of some sort around the wrist seals might help?

I have seen some posts on replacing seals. Any suggestion on what seals might be the best replacement for my Whites Nexus II (latex seals)?

Can I send the suit to the manufacturer to have the seals replaced?
(I sent a PM to the Whites rep but have no heard back yet - maybe they just don't do that type of work?)

take suit to lds that you purchased it from.They should be able to replace seals and trim them properly for you.

I am not sure if the nexus uses the type of quick glue seals that the fusion does, but if it does it is pretty easy to do yourself. You can just go to your LDS or ask Mike from DRIS about the Whites Latex seals. Well actually here is a link to the seals...

Phil

Trimmed the wrist seals and sure enough I may have gone too far. After diving the suit last night I had damp forearms. Not bad but frustrating.

You can have the seals replaced or you can add a dryglove kit (SiTech is nice, but there are others). The dryglove kit is a snap-in, so you don't need to replace the seals to do use it.

Terry

I am not sure if the nexus uses the type of quick glue seals that the fusion does, but if it does it is pretty easy to do yourself. You can just go to your LDS or ask Mike from DRIS about the Whites Latex seals. Well actually here is a link to the seals...

Phil

All of (the newer) Whites drysuits are repairable using the self adhesive latex neck and wrist seals and the dry adhesive patch kit. If your suit is under any warranty maybe the seals with glue pre-applied is the only way to go.

Hans

Yes, the Whites, pre-glued seals are sweet. Only need a hair dryer to set them.

....Yup, drygloves are pretty sweet as well. I went that way a few years ago, and never turned back. Sitek were kinda stubborn to get off for me. I'm using Viking now. I've heard good things about DC rings as well, but have not tried.

Wet wrists/forearms do not necessarily mean a loose fitting seal. Many of us have bony wrists of sinew-like nature that form hollows when flexing. The more you work, the wetter you get. Putting on fins, holding onto lines, etc. will let water in. May not be a lose fit. This is why I went to dry gloves, btw.

Last, trimming of the seals does not really determine how "long" they are. You can always pull them up your arm more if you desire. Latex is stretchy stuff...

best of luck...

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to try just positioning the seal further up my forearm and see of that makes any difference.

Does anyone know if whites does any seal replacement at the factory?

Or does anyone know if the Nexus II has the pre-glued seals?

I'm sure there must be a Whites rep on this forum...

There might be a rep on here somewhere :wink:

We do have a repair dept. where you can send in your suit for a seal replacement. It is a little more timely and costly but we do it all the time. When we do it, we completely remove the old seal, sew in a new one and weld on the new one.

Assuming your nexus was built in the last 3 or 4 years, you should be able to have your LDS do the repair easily enough as well. When your dive store does the repair they leave in the old welding tape (with the seal under it) and they just tape over it - it works great; not as clean as completely removing the old seal, but it still works great.

I should clarify that our seals are not "glued" per se. The wrist seal kit comes with heat activated "tape" and the seals. Many people are under the impression that the kit comes with a seal with glue on it; you heat it up, and your off for your next dive. It's easy but not quite that easy. Neck seals are almost that easy, but wrist seals are a little different.

We really do recommend dealing with a whites dealer that has attended one of our clinics.

I hope that helps!

Until the next dive,
Tyler

Thanks for the info Tyler. I sent a note via Whites website requesting info on repair, timing, pricing a couple of days ago and have not heard anything yet. Is there a number I could call for this information?

The nearest White's dealer to me (Richmond, KY) is about 1.5 hrs north in Florence, KY and my experiences with that particular shop have been less than satisfying so I am looking for another alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom