WW2 Wrecks! Info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I wanna come to USA to dive the second world war wrecks. Any destroyers? U boats? war ships etc? Ill be really grateful if you guys could provide some info.

Thanks

Where in the US are going to visit. If you are coming to the New York Long Island area there are sveral. There is the U853 east of Block Island, 130 fsw, there is a charter boat that leaves Montauk. There is another Uboat between NY and NJ but that is a deep wreck, about 240 fsw. Also off Long Island there is the USS San Diego a WW I cruiser in 110 fsw. There are also some merchant ships sunk by Uboats but I'll have to think about it for a while to come up with some information. North Carolina has a number of Uboat victims as well as a Uboat or two.

Let us know where you are planning to visit and we can help you with more information.

John
aka h2O lover

Thanks for the info man. I will go wherever the best wrecks are. WW1 wrecks are outside the domain of my project so WW2 wrecks are what I am interested in. Whats the condition of U 853?

The U853 is relatively intack it sits upright there are several bomb blast holes in the hull. Visibility is variable and smae for currents. If ytou do a web search I'm sure you can find more detail and some pics / drawings.
:crafty:

I am big WWII wreck fan too! I have to say that the wrecks of North Carolina, Mooreshead City, are probably the best the US has to offer. All things considered, Long Island, NY, and NJ, are great too, (I'm from NJ), but the water is colder and darker, and the trips are longer.
For U-Boats: dive the U352 - you can get all up inside if thats your thing. Enter the front torpedo loading hatch, swim the control room, and exit the rear loading hatch. Entry to the engine room is perilious. There are still plenty of artifacts to be found on the Shurz - I find small arms ammo all the time! I found a plate last summer too.
There is sooo many wrecks there it is called the "Graveyard of the Atlanta".

For more advanced diving, check out the NJ or NY diving. The Carolina, the SanDiego, the Texas Towers, the Andrea Dorea, U859. If you need names of dive boats or outfits let me know.

For more advanced diving, check out the NJ or NY diving. The Carolina, the SanDiego, the Texas Towers, the Andrea Dorea, U859. If you need names of dive boats or outfits let me know.

I think your fingers got crossed, U869 the U who, or U853 of the Blackpoint and last action after VE day

Another spot to spend some time researching is
http://www.christinayoung.com/pages/scubphot.htm
she has a great site with tons of info and take a look at the wreck research section on her scuba page

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom