WWII era wreckage found in Cultus lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On May 8th, while conducting an observation dive for the Cultus Lake Project (link in my Sig line), I discovered a wreck site of WWII era military equipment in the vicinity of Jade Bay. On May 16th I returned to the site and despite 5-8' vis. verified it as the remains of MkIII folding boat equipment (FBE), a vehicle used during the war for temporary bridging. The wreckage consists of two boats, 20' long, aprox. 7' wide, connected by four loadbearing girders also aprox. 20' long and lies upside down on the lake bed. Nearby I have also located 4-5 Bailey bridge panels.

Here is a model image of exactly what I've found:

02.jpg

Image from: henkofholland mastermodelling military vehicles scale 1/72-1/76

The equipment being used to create a bridge and schematics of the boat:

2j5cq3n.jpg

Image from: Ferrea Mole Forum -

3163odx.jpg

Image from: Ferrea Mole Forum -

The boats themselves are in relatively good condition with much of the wood and canvas intact and identification lettering still ledgible on the sides. The bows and sterns however are sprung.

I have been doing some (ongoing) research into determining when these boats would have sunk (retired sappers, army divers and others via the military engineering museum in Chilliwack) but so far no one can recall such an event. On Thursday I plan to revisit the site and record the ID info from the boats so that I can begin an archival search via records in Gagetown. So far this is what I have uncovered:

Cultus lake has a long history as a training area for army bridging and rafting exercises dating back to 1942. Though most people think of the bridging area as being on the west side of the lake, the original training area was in the vicinity of Entrance bay. Many vehicles and other pieces of equipment were sunk over the years but in the opinion of those so far interviewed something of this size (and the Bailey bridge panels) would have warrented recovery due to their cost.
MkIII FBE's were plywood folding boats covered with canvas that took 12 men to open. They were connected by load bearing girders that could then be covered by a roadbed and used to create medium weight bridges or to ferry vehicles or equipment across water gaps. They were used in Europe (and other theaters) during WWII and afterwards for training. Older sappers interviewed remember seeing FBE's on shore at Cultus during the 1950's but cannot recall if they were still being actively used.

Finally, as luck would have it, no pictures yet. My camera flooded prior and a borrowed camera also malfunctioned on the 16th. Hopefully, I will dive with someone soon who has better skills than I in the photography department.

I'm not disclosing the exact location until I do a better survey of the site, as I feel any artifacts should go to the CFB military historical society, but if anyone is genuinely interested in diving the site to photo/video record it they can PM me and I'll meet up or guide them to it. Once I'm sure there's nothing to strip I'll give up the location.

I will update this thread when I gain more info.

Last edited:
It's like a mini me version of Shadow Divers, complete with the search for details but it's probably more fitting to call it Shallow Vintage Diver. I also have a clue, but in this case it's not Horenburgs knife; it's this brass handled pin I found in the silt (what could it be?):

Picture2006-19.jpg

A complete wild@#s guess, but if related to the boat and bridge, I would think that the thread end secures into the boat and the "in" lines up with holes in the bridge itself.

Oh, by the way - something for "scale" would help.

Last edited:
I just finished reading Shadow Divers. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more.

Wish you the best in your dives and be safe.

Thanks all.

Mark, I enjoy your reports as well. As to how much is still down there (?) I'm just looking for a little fish.

The pin is 8 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide at the handle. The handle is not threaded, the grooves appear to be to improve grip. At the far end is a slot with a pin running through it (so it can be tethered I think).
So far the suggestions are: A peevee or bullpin used to hold girders together while bolting, a pin to hold the folding sides of the boat to the internal V bracing, part of an oar lock.

Googling around I found some threads with rumors of a Bailey bridge that failed, and tales of things from sunken Jeeps to sunken Sherman tanks (Some from other forums you've posted on in your quest). I'm sure some of the stories have been somewhat exaggerated over time. :D

Definitely interesting, I wonder if anything else is down there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom