X1,Petrel or Hollis Help????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all question for my dive gear that I'm thinking on getting.

Atomic M1 reg and octo

here is where it gets a little tricky.....I'm looking at 3 different computers.

1 Liquivision X1

2 Shearwater Petrel

3 Hollis DG05

Not in any particular order.

Any thoughts experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Curious as to why you don't have the Xeo on the list?

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Allow me to paraphrase how these computer threads usually go:

"I think the computer I just spent $1500 on is the best, because of <insert justification here>."

...the same seems to happen with the what scooter should I buy threads, too.

As for computer recommendation, I place more weight on the software the computer runs. V-Planner is what you'll see refered to all the time ("well, on this dive, V-Planner says...") and I'll wade in and state that V-Planner has always left me feeling good.

So, my computer runs software written by Ross Hemingway, the author of V-Planner. It's rock solid and I have a long track record with it. That limits the choices to the X1 or the DR5, both of which I've dove and are great computers.

All the best, James

As an aside, I have dove the X1 and the Predator. By comparison the Predator feels like I'm wearing a paperback book on my wrist. The Petrel may have a more pleasing form factor, as soon as I can lay hands on one I'll dive it to find out.

I run VPM-B on my Predator and the profiles are the same as v-planner.

Curious as to why you don't have the Xeo on the list?

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I did look at the Xeo....
The reason I did not go with it

1 Is that it's Plastic vs Metal

2 It has One pressure sensor and the x1 has two

3 It does non come with the V planner

I did look at the Xeo....
The reason I did not go with it

1 Is that it's Plastic vs Metal

2 It has One pressure sensor and the x1 has two

3 It does non come with the V planner

Thanks for the clarification - fair enough. I was just wondering because the other computers on your list are also plastic, with one pressure sensor and without V-Planner as well.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Eric,
The funny thing is i was going to buy the x1 last weekend .....My only concern was that I have heard so many stories of the X1 having problems and had to be sent back. The Shearwater was way to big and for my wife it would be huge lol.

So now with the new one that just came out I think for me its the best bang for the $$$,

Idk maybe I'm missing something?

Okay I have to get in on this with a question. I am mostly a recreational diver but live in an area where there is a significant benefit to tec diving (read deep wrecks) as such I am looking at the Petrel rather than going with an atomic cobalt. I like the Cobalt but it is hose mount and the Petrel definitely has more versatility. the question is for a mostly recreational diver is it just too much or would others still say go for it.

Okay I have to get in on this with a question. I am mostly a recreational diver but live in an area where there is a significant benefit to tec diving (read deep wrecks) as such I am looking at the Petrel rather than going with an atomic cobalt. I like the Cobalt but it is hose mount and the Petrel definitely has more versatility. the question is for a mostly recreational diver is it just too much or would others still say go for it.

The Petrel IMO purely for recreational diving is an overkill, but if you want to spend that cash it's the best you can buy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom