XDEEP Black BT Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have already posted a similar review in another forum, but I think it rather belongs here

I own an Xdeep Black Eanx and I'm not too happy with it. True, it looks very sexy and has a real nice screen which you can read from 3 m away, but I also experienced some issues.

-Screen is very vulnerable, but no screen protector.
-The strap is worthless, use bungees or you 'll loose your computer on it's very first dive.
-Not very readable in bright light, despite the ambient light sensor.

These are minor flaws, but now look at this:

-No dive planner, in my opinion an essential feature of any decent divecomputer.
-Unfit for advanced diving, too conservative.
Going on a dive, we hit 40 m and Xdeep already shows 9 min of Deco. My Suunto D4 says I'm still 5 minutes from NDL, my buddy's Galileo also gives him another 4 minutes. So we hang around a little while longer and start our ascent still 2 minutes from NDL on the Suunto and the Galileo. Xdeep than showing 13 minutes of Deco. On our ascent Xdeep demands a 3 minutes stop at 6 m and a 13 min stop at 3 m! Suunto and Galileo just want the 3 min safety stop as they always do. I skipped the last 4 minutes of deco and Xdeep went in Blocked mode.

After the dive I checked out the computers and found these NDL times:
AT 15 m: Suunto D4: 70 min; Galileo: 71 min; Xd level 1: 64 min/ level 2: 50 min/ level 3: 37 min
AT 21 m: Suunto D4: 36 min; Galileo: 36 min; Xd level 1 (this at20m): 29 min/ level 2: 23 min/ level 3: 16 min
AT 30 m: Suunto D4: 17 min; Galileo: 17 min; Xd level 1: 10 min/ level 2: 7 min/ level 5: 16 min

and so this goes on. Xdeep uses level 2 as default and the manual warns against using level 1, most definitely if there are any harmful circumstances. Good to know also that both Suunto and Galileo are thought to be conservative computers.
I heard other people complain about this: with the Xdeep you make longer deco times.

This said you may also want to check post by DuboisP and Screech06. They seem to have experienced similar issues.

post # 106 by DuboisP http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-feedback-here-11.html?highlight=xdeep+black
post # 573 by Screech06 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...g-friday-july-26th-58.html?highlight=divesoft

What is also rather annoying: The computer announces a deco stop and during the ascent this changes: on another dive at 40 meters, it gave a 3 min stop at 20 m. This stop disappeared somewhere and was replaced by a stop at 12 m. around 17 m this 12 m stop disappeared and was replaced by stop at 9 m etc. Only the last stop remained: 5 min at 3 m. I know there are other computers showing this behavier and its a matter of getting used to, but then I think showing just a tts and a ceiling is far less anoying.

You still may think you have a nice bottom timer, but add to this that the company cannot deliver and keeps their customers lingering on with promises and lies, then I 'd say: buy something else.

I did not think any dc could be more conservative than Suunto, but it seems like I am wrong.

Is there an explanation of what gradient factors those levels correspond?

The x-deep manual for EANX states that in addition to using Buhlman Z16, the computer, for repetitive and multi-day dives, automatically implements an additional, undefined algorithm to increase conservatism "in particular situations" which are also undefined, by shortening NDL and requiring longer deco stops. There is no description of how this works.

Much farther along in the manual (the algorithm section is at the beginning), the manual explains what GFs are set with each of the three different conservatism settings in standard nitrox mode BUT the computer will implement its automatic increased conservatism adjustments and plainly change the starting GFs, in ways that are not explained, at times that are not explained, under conditions that are not explained. Thus, you can have no confidence at all that you are running anything resembling Z16 with the GFs that you "thought" were selected in your initial conservatism setting. This seems evident in the experiences reported here, and as the computer piles on increasing burdens to surface compared to computers running "true" Z16, creating substantially longer times to surface, and even worse going into lock-out mode for violations of the unknown and undefined algorithm.

Interestingly, the manual also describes an option for a "advanced nitrox mode" where the user sets their own GFs. In this mode, however, it is still not clear whether the computer will without warning implement the further conservative adjustments-- Xdeep needs to clarify this.

I have been considering an upgrade to a color screen computer and was looking at this, Petrel II, and SubGravity H3 or T1. Looks like Xdeep is going to be out of the running unless we can get some further insight from them on this issue.

A DC that automatically adjusts the GF without user input is dangerous, don't care if the adjustment "leans" towards conservatism. You plan a dive and follow that plan.

I hope I misunderstood how this DC calculates a profile, what else does it do that they dont tell you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom