Yearly Gear Maintenance costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Also a visual inspection of the BC bladder will allow checking for bladder dry-rot, though this is uncommon unless the BC is really neglected or old. But having a BC bladder "blow out" at depth is not a good thing, especially when an inspection could check it.

How would a BC bladder "blow out" at depth? There's hardly any air in it at depth.

In any event, a punctured BC isn't life threatening...just a PITA. You can always swim back to the surface (with singles)...you don't use the BC for surfacing anyway. It'll mess up your buoyancy of course, but that's about it. And I can't imagine annual maintenance preventing a punctured or otherwise failed BC bladder. You can visually inspect it all you want, but when it fails, it fails. And you can do any inspection yourself that the kid at the LDS can do.

Inflators can be maintained by cleaning them well after every dive. Heck, replace it every so often if you want...it's easy and cheap. Rinse out the inside of your bladder too, and inspect it every so often. No way I'd pay someone to "service" my wing :wink:

Regs, of course, ya gotta do it every year. It sounds like you got a decent price.

Back
Top Bottom