Yellow LP hoses broken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In our dive school I'm changing something like 5 yellow LP hoses per year as result of tear near the first stage.
In comparision with black LP hoses and black HP hoses where I hardly change any per year. All are rubber hoses.
IMG_5993(1).JPG

We tried different hose protectors or even without them and the result is almost the same only changing the position of the tear.
We used to change the whole hose, but lately it has been difficult to get imported goods here in Argentina and change rate pesos to US dollars is almost near the stars.
I've tried removing the hose from the connector :
Archivo_002.jpeg
Archivo_001.jpeg
Archivo_000(3).jpeg

But the crimped part is not reusable.
I've tried to search locally if those connectors are available with no luck. I have no specification of them, I mean if there is any norm that defines the connector, sizes, and tools, just to start searching.
I'm amming to cut the teared part of the hose and re-crimp a new connector, or at least the crimped part, as the rest of the hose is OK.
If any one has any clue, I would appreciatte.
Thanks.

I'm surprised you guys didn't start using black hoses years ago, the yellow adds nothing and if they are breaking at a faster rate....

The hoses basically all come from Taiwan, could you try importing directly instead of importing from US?

Hydraulics shops like for trucks might be able to rig up something. But I did learn something, I had no clue that those crimped portions were screwed on then crimped. That was pretty cool.

I'm surprised you guys didn't start using black hoses years ago, the yellow adds nothing and if they are breaking at a faster rate....

The hoses basically all come from Taiwan, could you try importing directly instead of importing from US?

Hydraulics shops like for trucks might be able to rig up something. But I did learn something, I had no clue that those crimped portions were screwed on then crimped. That was pretty cool.
What the issue with the yellow hoses?

I’m guessing it’s just a recognition of the high failure rate the OP is having, these hoses are having an issue with something in that environment it seems, only or mostly the yellow ones. I would scrap the lot myself rather than risking continued use.

It seems that the rubber used to get the yellow colour makes the rubber less flexible and prone to tear at a rate 10x or more the rate of the same LP hose, but black, even using the same type of hose protector or wothout it.

A black hose is natural resistant to the sun effects, the colored ones are not.. at least that's from back in my pigment working days. Same thing with zip ties, use the black ones.

Back
Top Bottom