Yellow Point, Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, now that you're back (glad you had a good dive)... I forgot to mention the great white seen in that area occasionally

The kelp was single blade and some over 6 feet long. We saw them at the west end of the kelp bed in 50fsw. Did some research including an old diver I work with, looks like the kelp might be Laminaria saccharina or Sugar Kelp. Can anyone confirm that?
Also very cool "grottos" open areas in the kelp that were almost dark due to the canopy. One of my best dives and it was #40!!!
Dr. Bill-Was that great white thing for real or are you pulling our fins?

I love blennies,although I don't believe I've ever seen this type of blenny. They are the chihuahua of the ocean.

Oh, now that you're back (glad you had a good dive)... I forgot to mention the great white seen in that area occasionally

There was something big in the area. Our guy on the boat saw it. We all watched to see if it was a sea lion but it never came back up.

The kelp was single blade and some over 6 feet long. We saw them at the west end of the kelp bed in 50fsw. Did some research including an old diver I work with, looks like the kelp might be Laminaria saccharina or Sugar Kelp. Can anyone confirm that?
It was likely Elkhorn kelp, Pelagophycus porra. It is common in deeper water at Catalina. I've seen fronds longer than fifty feet laying on the sand with animals hiding underneath.
Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

Yes it does seem to have been Elkhorn kelp. There was quite a bit of it at this site at 40 to 50 feet of depth.

Elk kelp has multiple blades arranged on the "antlers" above the float bulb (pneumatocyst). Laminaria has a single large blade attached to a small holdfast. Agarum is another single bladed kelp found at dept but it has a very rough surface and strong midrib.

As for the great white... no, I wasn't kidding. But it has never hurt anyone. There are several that have been seen in the area between Empire Landing and Eagle Reef.

As for the great white... no, I wasn't kidding. But it has never hurt anyone. There are several that have been seen in the area between Empire Landing and Eagle Reef.

The one I saw last year was at Long Point, heading towards Empire/Eagle. Probably one of the "residents" :)

It appears that Google Earth's Wanna Dive has Empire Landing labled Rippers Cove. Yea I believe the kelp we saw more resembles the description of Laminaria, Thanks.

Is there spot on the Lee side that we might have more luck spotting Leopard Sharks?

Back
Top Bottom