You know the diving industry is hurting when!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jurrasicdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
You know the diving industry is hurting and can't support it self anymore when you walk into Bass Pro like I did today and saw camping equipment being sold by Aqua Lung. sleeping bags, tents etc.

Jurrasic diver

If using excess production to make camping gear helps them keep the cost of scuba gear down, more power to them.

Someday maybe AquaLung will even discover the Internet economy.:11:

I don't think it has anything to do with keeping the price of scuba gear down its mainly because the diving industry has been taking a down hill swirl in the last few years, Aqua lungs sales are down, production cost are up and share holders are yelling for more profit. A desperate move by Aqua lung to stay afloat in a shrinking market by introducing other products in the recreational market. Cosco, Sam's club, Bras pro, and other malty chained outlets move more Aqua lung products in one month than all the dive shops in Canada in three years. The future and money is in malty product and heavy volume sales and unfortunately the individually owned dive shop is quickly becoming a bad choice business venture that banks no longer support.

At least compressors aren't to expensive and you can always find instruction outside of a shop and buy online.

Look at everything that Suunto produces.

Scubapro is a division of Johnson Outdoors.

There are many manufacturers that do other stuff too. Diversification is what keeps many of them alive.

AMF SwimMaster used to be a pretty popular equipment manufacturer who also owned Harley Davidson. Talk about diversity.... That was many years ago, so I wouldn't take this as a sign of anything relating to industry health.

If aqua lung made a half decent reg and updated there gear a little they woulnt be losing so much market share might as well call them the general motors of the scuba industry

Hmmm. You don't like Aqua Lung I take it. I've used Legends for years and I think they are pretty darn good. Have you tried AL products?

Jurrasicdiver:
The future and money is in malty product and heavy volume sales

AquaLung makes beer? :D

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom