You know you live in Florida if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think these pics go right along with that post. We keep lots of food and ice. Last season four of my kids friends ended up @ our house for about a week as they had no electricity. Also if the power goes we have the grill. Never any bad food here!

Sooooooooooooo, my house, supplies and even fridge contents resemeble a whole lot of what is in the first post or two... missing are bunson burners, extra bottles of lighter fluid, instant coffee, cast iron cookware to cook on open fires if needed, multiple 5 gal gas cans for generators, spare chains for the chainsaws (plural, 2 of them in fact), power inverters for the cars, and battery driven or wind up alarm clocks.

Ken... the trees that were felled or damaged around here would not be good cookers. Mahogany, carrotwood, yellow pine.... smokey green trees... blah! The Oak which I manage to get a hand on consistantly works out real nice though :)

Well, I did have a freezer full of food. But it was a great way to socialize with neighbors I knew well and meet new folks as we hosted a mega bar-b-que for five nights runnings. We all ate quite well, and had fun creating new hurricane recipes and making s'mores over the grill. Not too mention the quantities of alcohol that were consumed. Boy, was I ever happy when the city resumed picking up recycleables!

ekremer:
yeah I got that from a chain letter in my email, so much of it is soo true :p

thats easy, when there are no lights in the house, your meat and veggies go bad, and like in the case of my neighbor could cost you a few hundred dollars (I have no clue why he keeps so much meet in his freezer at one time)

Ten years ago, we lived in S. Florida and my midwestern wife experienced her first hurricane. My dad took her to the grocery store and showed her what to buy. You know, candles, sterno, batteries, bottled water, canned and dry foods, duct tape for the refrigerator. She called me when she got home and asked me why so many people were purchasing frozen foods.

Fortunately, that was a mild blow and we never lost power. Now this last time, my daughter who lives in Boca Raton had no power for several days and like the other poster, lost everything in her refrigerator.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom