Your Best “eBay” Scuba Equipment Purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought two drysuits, sold one of them and another. I've also bought Jetfins, a mask, a stage bottle, two 100% O2 compatable regs as well as a digital camera and housing. When I switched to a backplate/wing I sold four BCs that were hanging in my garage. Four buyers were happy. The Dacor Rig went for $100 and the other three went for less than $40 each.

Brand new Oceanic veo 200 console w/ compass for 175. Two alum 80's w/current hydro, and VIP and nitrox ready for under 200. An Oceanic Alpha 7, and Omega 2 both like new condition for 65 each.

Poseidon8118:
Just Curious...

Has anyone purchased gear off of eBay? Are you completely satisfied with your purchase? Please list the item(s), and the cost.

I bought a really cool cannister light that caugt fire while charging (the charger fuse had been bypassed). Glad I was sitting next to it!

I also bought an Ikelight housing that was supposed to fit Nikon, but actually fit nothing I could find (tried almost every camera in a large used camera store).

Great stuff. Not.

Terry

My best purchase began with selling a 1950 40ft Chris Craft on e-bay. I used the money to purchase a complete set of gear for the wife, updated some of my old 1980's gear for newer stuff. I blew the rest on dive trips. E-bay is the only way.

Know what you are buying, and ask questions. If the seller can't give you a straight answer, walk away(surf away?). Before clicking anything, figure out what you would give for this item in worse condition than what it is described in. And walk away if the bidding climbs too high. Too many people get caught up in a bidding war, and end up buying a used item for a new price.

That said, I have scored 4 sets of Conshelf regulators off of ebay. 3 in fine condition, the fourth is on the way, so I can't judge. I bought the last 3 simply to get the metal second stages, but the first stages were great, too. I paid less than $100 for all of them.

I also got a Dacor 200 reg with a bcd I bought($20 in the next town over, figured it wasn't a huge risk). I traded the reg for a pair of metal USD second stages.

I got a tank for $20($5 + $15 s/h). It just passed hydro and vip this week. But I do NOT recommend buying tanks off of ebay. I'll bid on a steel 72 if a)the price is right and b) it has been stored with pressure. But the price has to be pretty sweet for me to risk it. Plus, sellers like to jack up the shipping for tanks. Keep in mind that FedEx can ship a steel 72 for $15. Don't let them buffalo you into something much higher.

I picked up two older style jacket bcd's($20,see above, and $5). Both were in fine shape.

Finally, I got some 5mm booties recently($10.52 + $6 shipping). Look brand new and fit like a glove.

Bottom line, know the gear you are looking for and be willing to walk away from ANY "deal" if it has any hint of something weird or shady.

Jet Fins, SS spring straps, Reefmaster RC underwater camera, OMS SS backplate, Dive Rite Sport Wings, ScubaPro Mk10 with G250 reg, R190 octo, and 2 guage console.

Happy with my purchases to date!

My best two purchases were two SP X-Tek BCD's, one with the Trav-tek wing and the other with the Rec-Tek and Sport-Tek wings. I've been very satisfied with both items. Bought them on E-Bay because SP no longer makes them (and the newer model, the S-Tek, was just discontinued as well).

Dr. Bill

I bought two Henderson wetsuits - one like new (4 dives) and one never wet (7/5mm Hyperstretch suit and a 5mm goldcore suit), both for less than $150 total :). Also picked up a pair of AL80s off of ebay from a local seller for less than the price of one new and a bunch of odds and ends like Jet fins, a folding snorkel and a spare mask. If you know how to shop and can be patient, there are good buys to be had. If you are not careful... well, your experience won't be nearly as pleasant.

Jackie

Best buys - Tusa expert Xoom fins, brand new for $89, considering they normally run for about $240 (ish) here, that was a bargain (we really get nailed for just about everything here - don't even start complaining about gas)

Best sell - I had just bought 2 iPod minis for my trip to vanuatu with the wife, on the return I discovered that freaking apple had quietly released the 6gb versions with 18hr bat life. I put the 2 iPods up - one had a minor scratch the other was pristine. Result? sold the pristine one for $260 (au) and the scratched one for $278!!! the new model 4gb version with the 18hr battery life was $300 in the shop - brand new!!!

Gotta agree with the bidding thing - I always have a price in mind (research helps), and only bid in the last minute. If the bidding is beyond what I want to pay, I don't bid, and bidding in the final minute means that if my bid is beaten, I wont have time to do something stupid and raise my bid beyond the price I wanted to pay...

Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom