Your Diving and Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken:
Not necessarily Chris. It has a LOT to do with body build also. Size of lungs in relation to body size, etc. With a 2 piece 7 mm suit, 26 pounds, and a full AL80, I could not get down at the start of the dive (fresh water). Weight check at the end with 500psi showed me underweighted. Don't make unsupportable ascertions.

Where in my statement did I say all divers are overweighted ? I said its amazing how MANY divers are overweighted. You dont agree with that ??? I see many people take 5-10 pounds or more off their belt. When you are diving with people and you can clearly see the air a BC or a wing I bet they can lose 3-5 pounds easy.

With 3mm wetsuit and 12L aluminum tank in sea water I've been using 5.5kg, which is about 12 lbs, but that was playing it safe - I didn't actually test how much I needed with an (near) empty tank to go down, so I think I could get a few more pounds off it.

Jersey Chris:
When you are diving with people and you can clearly see the air a BC or a wing I bet they can lose 3-5 pounds easy.

Chris, when during the dive can you clearly see the air in their BC. I dive with 28# in fresh water w/ a 7mm FJ. I'm a new diver and hate the weight. Use less and I'll pop to the surface like a fishing bobbin on my asent with less than 1,000 psi.

Joe,

I think that Chris is talking about air in the BC towards the end of the dive.

It would be impossible for anyone here to know if you have too much or too little weight without getting in the water with you. If we knew your body weight, then we could guess...but that's all it would be...just a guess.

However...

...most new divers are overweighted...and there are a number of reasons why. Probably the biggest reason is air in their BC. The diver thinks, or more often "knows", that they have emptied the bladder completely when in actuality there is a lot still there. I see this all the time and it can take some real effort and sometimes some creative thinking to convince the diver otherwise.

I know...you don't believe me. eyebrow

SS HP80, 7mm, 6 pounds on my belt (DSS SS BP).

i dive with,

al b/p
al-80
2 pice famer john henderson w/hood& gloves, and i have to have about 25-27lbs.
i would like to buy a 130 steely and take the weight off.
would that be enough???

I use a farmer john and 14 pounds, all on a belt
AL80 tank
Sherwood Achieva BCD

I tried 10 at first and couldnt decend. All my diving so far is spring fed fresh water. The 14 is just right with full tank at the beginning using the rule of floating at eye level while breathing normally. I havent tested at the end of a dive, but I will next time.

Willie

Jersey Chris:
Its amazing how many divers are grossly overweighted. I dive a full 7mm wetsuit with gloves, hood, LP98 steel, S/S backplate and can get down with 7 lbs in saltwater. Most people can usually get 5-10 pounds off and still get down..

Whilst I agree that a lot of divers are overweighted, it is dangerous to give people that impression that all they need weight wise is to be able to "still get down".
They need to be able to comfortably hold their depth for safety or required stops at the end of the dive with what ever gear/cylinder combination they use.
Taking into account the swing in buoyancy characteristics of the cylinder throughout the dive is VITAL.
I realise this kind of post gets repeated all the time, but I just have horrible thoughts of a diver using an al80 reducing their weight till they can just "still get down", then being unable to hold their depth during the end of their dive and getting hurt.

Stephen Ash:
Joe,

Probably the biggest reason is air in their BC. The diver thinks, or more often "knows", that they have emptied the bladder completely when in actuality there is a lot still there. I see this all the time and it can take some real effort and sometimes some creative thinking to convince the diver otherwise.

I know...you don't believe me. eyebrow

Actually, I do believe you. You're right, I always feel or think I've emptied the bladder but it is quite possible I haven't and don't know it.

BTW, I wasn't looking for anyone on the board to advise how much weight I need. Many of the posts dealt with sheding weight and "getting down". I can shed a lot of weight and "get down" but I won't be able to stay there with an empty tank - that was my point.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom