Your Fusion Pocket...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJedi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So - We at Whites know you want a pocket on your Fusion. After several prototypes, we are now looking for your final say....

Assuming that a Tech skin could support the weight of a pocket....

Would your perfect pocket be....

A nylon/cordura blend?
Neoprene?

What size would it be?

Let me know...

Until the Next Dive,
Tyler

My vote would be for a 9.5" tall 6" wide 2.5" deep bellows pocket on each side made of cordura nylon.

But there are many many things to consider here. The DIR guys are gonna want a DIR compliant pocket configuration with the bellows pocket on the left leg and a smaller pocket on the right.

Pockets with zippers are nice too and I believe many many people prefer them and on the fusion the zipper would eliminate most of the pull required to open a pocket compared to the velcro ones.

Pockets with dividers are nice, and most pockets currently on the market come with internal and external D-rings (prefer stainless) and stainless drainage grommets in the bottom and I also install 2 grommets on the side of the pocket (2 1/2 " front most strip on a bellows pocket has 2- 3/8" hole size grommets 3" apart on center close to the top).

A good all around pocket is the dive rite bellows pocket or I really like the DUI cordura zipper pocket. and the halcyon pockets are favored by the DIR guys.

For me, it would be nylon/cordura pocket and would look like this.

Although neoprene would be okay too.

Thanks Tyler!

All the best, James

As a DIR type, I'd go with two bellows pockets, cordura or nylon, one on each thigh, velcro closed, 10.5 by 7 inches and ~2.5 inches deep. Key to this are grommets on the bottom to drain, and TWO grommets on each bellow near the top of the pocket to allow threading of 3/8 inch bungee for clipping items off. Basically, like the DSS, X-Pocket, or other variations out there.

My feeling is that the crotch strap of most tech diver's plates will hold a bellows pocket system in place on land. As discussed before, I don't put that much heavy stuff in there, a small SMB, some wetnotes, a spare mask, so I don't think the skin needs to be that supportive to make it work.

I am also happy to be a beta-tester on this one, Tyler . . . in fact, I'd be VERY happy to help with this.

-Doug

Another vote for two bellows pockets, cordura/nylon, velcro closure, drain holes, grommets up top, etc. Pretty much what dsteding said.

Given the slim fit of the suit, I'd imagine that a wide pocket won't work. Something like 10 x 6 x 2.5 may be better. And add it to a larger backing like the DSS pocket to provide more surface area, if needed.

XS Scuba Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket

I have a CF300 that's crushed 1mm and that holds pockets fine. The X-shorts themselves are a thin stretchy material, and they are capable of holding our pocket contents.

What dsteding said. I need enough room in one pocket for a spare mask and wetnotes, and the other for a couple of spools and/or SMB.

Another vote for two bellows pockets, cordura, wide velcro band, SS grommets on the bottom to drain and another two on the sides to hold bungees. Simple ones like these would do the trick:
- Bellows Pocket

But if you can pull of something with dividers... =)

Ralph

the one complaint I have always had with bellows pockets is the velcro on the flap sticks to my 7mm gloves, but I guess If I was diving dry I would have dry gloves usually so than it wouldn't be an issue. To eliminate any velcro problems though all that would have to be done is but the hook portion on the pocket and the loop on the flap.

Anyway thats my rant but most any of the name brand bellows out there would be ok as long as they have the required grommets, D-rings, and one pocket should have a divider I would think.

Also I would be very willing to beta test this system. T

I don't think the volume of the pocket should be a limiting factor - just make it a decent size and tell people not to put more than 2# in it or else they'll stretch out the skin.

For the record, I like the DC bellows pocket - it's got velcro on the sides to keep it streamlined when empty, and the profile is generally very slim from the "forward" face.

As a DIR type, I'd go with two bellows pockets, cordura or nylon, one on each thigh, velcro closed, 10.5 by 7 inches and ~2.5 inches deep. Key to this are grommets on the bottom to drain, and TWO grommets on each bellow near the top of the pocket to allow threading of 3/8 inch bungee for clipping items off. Basically, like the DSS, X-Pocket, or other variations out there.
Same request.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom