Your Kryptonite Bike Lock may NOT be Safe (see article)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted at: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128

News article from: http://www.boston.com/business/tech...ey_for_thieves/

Cyclists: Bike locks easy prey for thieves
Kryptonite promises more secure product
By Ross Kerber, Globe Staff *|* September 16, 2004

Kryptonite, the large bicycle-lock maker, said yesterday it will speed the delivery of new versions of its burly locks following complaints that current versions can be picked open with flimsy ballpoint pens.

"This is an extremely big deal. Kryptonite is the Microsoft of locks," said Brown, who estimates hundreds of thousands of the U-locks have been sold over the years. Kryptonite will not divulge sales numbers.

Specifically, Kryptonite said it has moved up some dates in its plans to introduce upgraded versions of the locks in question. These are the company's "Kryptolok" and "Evolution" lines of U-locks, selling for $30 to $55. They now use tubular keys, but the models the company planned to introduce at the Interbike trade show in Las Vegas in October will use "disc-style cylinders" in which cuts in the key are angled, which it calls a more secure design.

Do i take the ones that can be picked with a biro are those that look like they have a simple circular key kind of locks (looks like you put a cookie cutter in it) - rather than a key (like a door key)? My bike locks are more the door key like ones, however i dont ride anywhere that i really need the lock - the only time is to lock it to my towing hitch when i am in a restaurant or something on a bike trip. I also found that the combination locks didnt seem to get decoded to easily or quickly.

Back
Top Bottom