Your phone is sending your EVERY key press,website, text, to Carrier IQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My phone isn't. Mine is rooted, debloated and customized. Root your phone and get rid of all of the carrier crap... Problem solved.

Just as everything that you type on the computer is being sent to your ISP. There is no privacy. It has to go through a middle man somewhere.

I do not like sneaked programs, hidden in my equipment, doing things that sound unethical ... this data is sent unencrypted, unsecured, and who knows if it's safe from being hacked and used by people OTHER than the police/officials ... you think that foreign countries, or those groups that hold us in contempt wouldn't love to get their hands on this, or do something to disrupt the use of all those cell phones that have this on it ...

Good comment by oldbrokenlink about Carrier IQ :
"Another note is that it was mentioned in an earlier article about Carrier IQ that when asked directly if they could us it to read users' text messages, the C.I.Q. rep they were talking to wa...s quoted as saying "yeah we probably could if we wanted to". That certainly sounds to me like information is in fact being transmitted.

all the companies involved from Carrier IQ developers to the phone carriers to the phone and OS developers who put it in, the whole chain [are liable]

can you imagine in a time of war and terrorism these folks are capturing from our elected officials, their staff, military chain of command, soldiers, ect...
and from what i've read the thing is open to hackers to abuse, can you imagine hackers or terrorists or foreign governments getting this raw feed

what were they thinking

i find it disturbing, irresponsible, illegal, immoral, and even dangerous for them to put a root kit you don't know about and can't easily get rid of
think about it, local/federal police, judges, lawyers, prosecutors, fbi, cia, ect all use cell phones that they use both personally and professionally, and these people have a feed to their phone use, who else can gain access to those feeds or redirect them.

the most sensitive / secret / sacred material is transfered by these folks and a bunch of nobodies without any clearance are all listening in on it!

and not just for this country for all countries, the carrier iq folks brag they are on over 114 million cell phones and rapidly growing"

Interesting article, info, comments (note that some comments are from one of the other researchers that had found this and when he questioned Carrier IQ about it, was shut up when they threatened to sue him)
... Carrier IQ Gets Scrooged For The Holidays - Security - Mobile Security - Informationweek

is this a Government back door?
Interesting comment ... "It is no secret why this app exists it is part of the wire tapping arrangement that the government has with the major phone companies. They are required to build hardware and software tools into their network to facilitate spying on citizens. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom