Your thoughts about visiting the Egyptian Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears to me Solly that you simply didn't like what I wrote and yet you are unable to express why.

You termed my impression of Egypt and experiences here as "complete chaos" and then objected to it! Do you know or have you heard of any of the situation I mentioned? These are facts.
My intention was not to compare Egypt to other worse places around the world but to give one man's views.
You can disagree as many do but I think it would also help if you write about how and why you believe the situation is different from the way I described it. Please describe to the readers the situation as you see it and the advantages of visiting and diving in Egypt.

Crowley:
Have you asked this question on any other scuba messageboards like Yorkshire Divers?
YD Scuba Diving Forums
They are predominantly British divers, and many are tech divers. I would have thought that I larger proportion of YDs would regularly dive, or be considering diving in Egypt, than SBs, as it is warm, a short-haul flight, and affordable.
It might also be a good idea to offer your own experiences as a guide in Sharm to offer your own opinions to answer any concerns or questions that divers have.

Elmagnoon:
Please don't turn a useful, informative thread of people's opinions into a pathetic 'oh I'm offended' 'personal attack' 'where's your source material?' game of trolling. Your tone was unnecessarily abrasive, which is not conducive to insightful discussion.

Nic

It appears to me Solly that you simply didn't like what I wrote and yet you are unable to express why.

You termed my impression of Egypt and experiences here as "complete chaos" and then objected to it! Do you know or have you heard of any of the situation I mentioned? These are facts.
My intention was not to compare Egypt to other worse places around the world but to give one man's views.
You can disagree as many do but I think it would also help if you write about how and why you believe the situation is different from the way I described it. Please describe to the readers the situation as you see it and the advantages of visiting and diving in Egypt.

I heard of situations you mentioned, but collecting actions for over 2 years and listing them in that way implies that it is a daily routine that we live in which is not. Can't deny some accidents occur and their number increased compared to what used to be but again it would still be within the same rate or even less than many other countries all over the world, I do not want to just list incidents that one had read about in different countries as examples.

Even in Cairo where most of the riots/protests occur, we hardly feel about it as they are mostly concentrated in certain area and never out of it.

I live in Cairo and go diving in Hurghada and sharm/dahab frequently, I drive there and I hit the road any time (day or night), true I avoided to go at night in the few months following January 2011 then I went back to my old routine (just back from hurghada last week leaving the city around 6 pm and arriving in Cairo around 1 am) ...

Egypt is warm, nice diving, easily accessed by charter flights from Europe, divers will enjoy the marine life which has changed to a very better situation due to less traffic in water in the past couple of years... this is how I see the advantages of visiting and diving in Egypt :)

We did a liveaboard last October (2011), Wrecks and Reefs and loved it.. it was very quiet tho in Hurghada in the lovely new Marina which was a pity. We only went there on the first night, had a few beers but the place was nearly empty. The boat trip was great..really enjoyed it. We would be a bit reluctant to go back just now as it appears to be unpredictable. We went diving in the South China Seas and Malta this year so far. One thing I didnt like at the time was the a group of Russians arrived onto our boat (sea serpent) on our last day so we had to leave and spend the last night and the following day at a hotel. We had not been told this in advance. It sort of ruined the last day for us, we would have preferred to stay on the boat. The diving was excellent tho. Would think about going to the Red Sea again next year but would probably wait till the last minute before booking just to be sure.

Good point. My impression and views are cumulative effect of vacationing and diving in Egypt for more than five years and living here for more than a year. A visitor coming to dive for a couple of weeks will not encounter all of that in one go.

MrsBBC, quite the imagination you got there. Entertaining :D

Well, I had a week with Blue O Two on the Blue Melody from Hurghada in July and two hours ago I booked flights out to Sharm for next month for a week and a bit boat/shore diving with Diving & Discovery at the Iberotel Fanara on Ras Om El Sid (a good centre with an amazing house reef which is great for a dawn skin dive before breakast - when I go diving I go diving).

Nothing that I have yet seen or heard would prevent me from booking at the moment. The only time that I actually held of was immediately following the shark attacks and the revoltion (and not because I was worried for my personal safety but because the boats/beaches were closed and flights from the UK were being diverted away and I didn't want to waste a trip).

I have no doubt that there are areas of Sinai which would be unsafe for Western travellers at night but I can assure you that there are whole areas of Bristol, London, Portsmouth and Manchester where I would feel unsafe at night. You just need to be aware of your surroundings and conscious of your own security.

At the end of the day, more Europeans were tragically killed on Flash Airlines 737 crash in 2004 (mainly French families) or injured in the Naama Bay bombings than have probably been injured in any violence or attacks around the Red Sea resorts. But plane crashes and terrorist bombings are, sadly, a fact of modern life. Thankfuly these are rare and, having considered all of the associated risks and my own personal comfort levels, I am happy to have booked another holiday to Sharm.

Is there good shore/muck diving in Hurghada?

Hi - We were in Hurghada agin in May this year and no problems whatsoever. Yes it did seem quieter than previous years (we go to Sharm/Hurghada most years) but on a selfish note it was great to have the boat only half full. There is plenty of fish and coral life around Hurghada - so not much muck diving. We are off diving in Thailand in November - not because we don't like Egypt, we do - but there is a big wide world and ocean out there and I like to see round all corners!!
We have been following air fares from the UK for next year and have noticed a considerable increase in fares (May we paid £400 return for 2, but next year its nearer £600, which is a big hike in price)
Mrs BBC - The day boats out of Hurghada are very good and usually only 45 minutes away from a dive site. Have a look at Jasmin Diving based at Grand Seas Hostmark Hotel, (right on the beach, with dive boats moored only 100 yds away) they run a very good dive club and have 4 large boats. They are German, but all speak English.
Chris - we will be back.....................

---------- Post Merged at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Is there good shore/muck diving in Hurghada?

Hi - We were in Hurghada agin in May this year and no problems whatsoever. Yes it did seem quieter than previous years (we go to Sharm/Hurghada most years) but on a selfish note it was great to have the boat only half full. There is plenty of fish and coral life around Hurghada - so not much muck diving. We are off diving in Thailand in November - not because we don't like Egypt, we do - but there is a big wide world and ocean out there and I like to see round all corners!!
We have been following air fares from the UK for next year and have noticed a considerable increase in fares (May we paid £400 return for 2, but next year its nearer £600, which is a big hike in price)
Mrs BBC - The day boats out of Hurghada are very good and usually only 45 minutes away from a dive site. Have a look at Jasmin Diving based at Grand Seas Hostmark Hotel, (right on the beach, with dive boats moored only 100 yds away) they run a very good dive club and have 4 large boats. They are German, but all speak English.
Chris - we will be back.....................

First of all, thank you everybody who took the time to reply with their honest opinions, and positive or negative I like to hear them all so I can get a feeling for what potential holidaymakers are thinking and possibly give them some advice on the way it really is here.

I see a clear divide in the posts above between Europeans and our cousins from across the pond in the Americas, and I do believe that this is mostly down to the media's portrayal of recent events in the region. One previous poster in this forum described Egypt as the "new Afghanistan" - and this is just ridiculous. Thousands of tourists pass between Sharm and Cairo and Dahab and Taba and Hurghada and El Gouna and Marsa Alam and El Qsir and Luxor and whereverbloody else without any inconvenience whatsoever.

Cars are not being shot at nightly in the Sinai - maybe in the little tiny town of El-Arish, which is close to the Israeli Border, and also technically located in the Sinai Peninsula - but this has been a problem for years. It's geographically not that far from Sharm, but it's a million miles away in terms of philosophy, and I do not agree at all with posts about how unsafe the Sinai has become.

Yes, there are problems. There is a fuel shortage, and our boats are running to Thistlegorm and back on diesel fumes and prayers. There has been a significant increase in "tourists touts", who sell uninsured trips for extortionate fees. Many taxi drivers are - to put it bluntly - criminals, given what they are charging for a 10 minute ride from the airport to the hotel.

Yes, there have been some kidnappings, nobody can deny that, and for sure there are problems on the roads between The South of Sinai and the North, but these are mostly internal struggles, and of no threat to regular tourism. Book through your hotels or travel agents, stick to the official tourist bit, and no worries, apart from a lot of un-necessary hassle in Na'ama Bay at night, all is well and good.

Solo female tourists - beware. There's no sugar-coating the fact that you will hear the incessant call of "sssss, sssssss, ssssss,... sex?" Taxi drivers will propose marriage and give you a free ride home in the hope that you will sleep with them. Unfortunately, a lot of foreign women in Sharm, particularly Russian ladies, are very free with their favours, shall we say, and therefore a lot of young Egyptian men here think that every woman will sleep with them for the price of a free drink. Or camel safari. Or Intro dive. Whatever.

My advice to single female travelers is to wear a ring on your wedding-finger, and use it as defense, especially if you claim to have an Egyptian husband. Verbal harassment is guaranteed, although physical contact is very rare, I do, however know of several cases where staff have been fired after being caught pleasuring themselves in the vicinity of scantily-clad women (true stories)

Otherwise, it's just business as usual. We're mega-busy and short staffed and the dive centre was chaos but nobody got shot at, or abducted or was otherwise inconvenienced. It's high season at the moment and the resort is half-full of Egyptian tourists here for the Eid festival, and also most of Germany arrived at my dive centre yesterday without letting us know in advance of their arrival!

There is still a lot of unfinished business in Egypt. Protests and marches are regular features in the news but they are confined to limited areas which can be easily avoided. Yes, I recommend travel and holiday insurance and whatknot, but I'd recommend that anyway regardless of where you are visiting.

To MrsBBC: - no I haven't asked this on YD however since you have suggested it I may very well do so! :D I also agree wholeheartedly with your crticism of El Magnoon's post and with all due respect to El Magnoon, that was a piece of crap, mate. You're right, it's not predictable, and I promise you, we all feel the same way - but really, having lived here both before and after the revolution, I am not at all concerned for my security. Not one little bit.

Thanks again for all the replies, whether I agree or not,

Cheers

C.

I see a clear divide in the posts above between Europeans and our cousins from across the pond in the Americas, and I do believe that this is mostly down to the media's portrayal of recent events in the region.
Perhaps the media is to blame for this. What do we hear and see when we turn on our TV sets or listen to our radios? We in America hear someone announcing that we are the evil that must be eliminated for Islam to prosper. We turn on our televisions and we learn that America has been called the Great Satan yet again by some Middle Easter leader. We hear about calls for Muslims already in America to carry out acts of terror in our country. When terrorists crash two airplanes into our buildings, killing thousands of innocent people, we turn on our TVs and see Muslims dancing for joy in the streets throughout the Middle East. Of course we see and hear those things--it makes interesting news.

But these are just the extremists we are told. The governments in countries like Egypt keep them in check and make things safe, we are told.

And then we are told that the new government is made up primarily of a faction that is sympathetic to those extremists. We see that government sit back and watch as our embassy is attacked, and we see it avoid making any critical statements about the attack until it is pushed hard to do so.

Anyway, that's what we hear and see through our media. And so, logically, those who do not wish to become involved in a scenario that includes getting your head cut off with a sword are wary. Oh, that is probably an unreasonable fear born of the fact that the good news about things actually being safe is not broadcast to us. It is not broadcast to us because it is not an exciting story that will make people want to tune it. That could be the reason.

But with that being the news we see and hear, and with nothing to balance it out, it is not hard to see why the people across the pond are not excited abut a coming visit.

Well, we (Americans) do have a history of interference with domestic affairs in the Middle East, and our media loves to sensationalize things. The first fact does make us legitimate targets of negative thought (and, unfortunately, actions) for some. I will admit to falling victim to the negative portrayals in our media and am putting my plans to dive the Red Sea on hold... for the third time in the last 11 years.

I don't know many people from Egypt... just a very few who I've encountered here in the States. They are wonderful people... but of course I expect that from fellow divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom