Yukon 1/21/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skull

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Caught a story on 11pm news last night concerning a USCG save, diver was on theYukon,got disoriented. Plucked from the water, hyperventiliating... story is not on CDNN or the local news this am .... anyone else catch this story ...details??

"Lifeguards determined she was in an "altered state of consciousness," or not fully aware of her surroundings, Lerma said."

Skull - Do you know if she was diving from a commercial boat? We had a Yukon trip cancel recently due to extreme swell conditions. I can't imagine someone showing up for a Yukon dive in an altered state. Could this be a result of DCI?

Jim

My house is on the hill in OB and I can actually see the Yukon buoys with my bino's ... I was diving at the shores sat. am and was actually scanning the MB area for conditions and left my house around 9:45 am, the save was~9:15am... I didn't even see a boat of any kind out on the Yukon ... Surf was managable Sat ... but the tide was heading out so might of been a heavy surge. I usually take a look at the conditions along the MB jetty , before I head over to the shores. Funny thing is I have a great view of the area and didn't notice anything pecular Sat am ... that is why I am posting on this event.

As to any commercial boats ...don't think it was the Lois Ann since she's very identifiable. Heck I didn't even notice a helicopter ... must have been a Life Guard or USCG skiff that did the pick-up. She might of had a small craft, and that's whats so interesting is the lack of info on this event. No mention of buddies, no interviews ...nothing.

SD Tribune says she ended up at Mercy in Hillcrest. Paper also reports she was @ 94' when she did her ascent. It can be disorienting since the Yukon lies on her side and at 94' you are most likely on the lower side of the deck (referenced to the horizontal list).
Either way if see isn't bent she did one hell of an emergency ascent...As to the altered state... what the heck does that mean ... I run my own business I am always in an altered state, when I'm not MANIC , I'm furious about something or depressed ...Was she drunk, high, bent, sea sick, didn't take her meds that morning ??? Did she see something down there that panicked her ...out of air, equip failure , ... that is what baffles me , no follow up in the paper or KGTV..heck KUSI didn't even run the story figured Rod Luck would be on it like white on rice ...

Anyway that is all I could glean from the availible sources.

Out

Check that ..."she was a beginner diver", and was taken to UCSD Hillcrest, not Mercy ...they have a chamber though, the Trib doesn't say she had DCI ... one can read into the story that perhaps she did..

I talked to a friend who was on the boat, Dn'D II. She was talking a wreck class, started panicking and hyperventilating. She didn't do a safety stop and took a chamber ride just to be safe. She's fine.

Glad to hear she's safe. If more details become available I'd like to know. We were booked on Dn'D II Dec. 30 when they cancelled due to swells. Plan on rescheduling sooner or later. Maybe later if conditions are chronicly bad on the Yukon this winter.

What was the viz and current at depth? Did anything special (gear, etc.) contribute to panic? How fast was her ascent? Was her budy able to stay with her?

I don't want to intrude on her privacy - just curious about what conditions contributed to this incident on a dive site/boat I've been trying to make. If anyone knows more details its worth a read.

Jim

Yes. I'm on Peace. Sounds like a plan.

Jim

First off is that you Mark-SCVdiver and second your story is correct. I was in the wreck class also. The swells weren't too bad but the vis was, it was between 5 to 10ft.

Happy Diving
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom