Zanzibar without AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctopusLover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My girlfriend just got her OW. I have AOW. Is Pemba/Zanzibar a bad idea as a first dive trip as a couple this December?

We wanted to cover Tanzania first for a Safari then head somewhere else to dive. I've seen a fair few comments that Pemba is best but not for beginners due to depth and currents so I'm a bit worried we'd have to miss out on the best dive sites

I have worked in Zanzibar for the past 9 years.

Pemba is indeed better than Unguja. If you do go to Zanzibar, avoid Mnemba. While it has a good reputation, it has lost a lot of its charm over the years. It is incredibly crowded nowadays. From around the 20th of December it will be peak season.

Tumbatu and Stone Town offer great diving in Unguja.

None of the diving in Zanzibar is particulary difficult. Sure, some dive sites can be a bit deeper, but there are plenty in shallow water - More than you can dive in one holiday.

Currents are always tidal, so it depends on when and where you go. They can be strong, but nothing extraordinary. Rarely will a current be too strong to swim against for a short period of time for example.

We wanted to cover Tanzania first for a Safari then head somewhere else to dive.
Hey @OctopusLover we did exactly that this last summer and thought that a few days in Zanzibar were perfect after a safari.

We did end up in Mnemba and while it was a bit crowded (even in August) we found the dives quite easy and saw lots of cool stuff. For a small premium, you can get a private guide (in fact if you tip generously, you might find the guide trying very hard to take you again the next day :). We didn’t want to add an extra flight to get to the small island atol where the &beyond is, perhaps if we’d have planned a week it would have been worth it.
If you DM me I can put you in touch with our Mnemba dive master/guide who was fantastic on WhatsApp

Nathalie wrote up some of our Mnemba trip with pictures on her blog, might serve as some inspiration. You may find some tips for your land portion of the adventure here too.

I also got some advice on dive shops here on SB from others that has done the trip, but ultimately we just went with the closest shop to our hotel.

Enjoy your amazing African adventure :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom