Zeagle Brigade Review (brief)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I got to do two dives in Panama City with the Brigade (Ranger harness/Escape bladder) sold by Scubatoys. I was initially thinking the Escape (looking for lightweight), but got convinced that the Ranger harness didn't add significant weight.

Upon receipt, it is definitely a packable BCD! Can't quite get all the gear to fit into a rollaboard carry-on (for US airlines), but pretty close.

I had to do some mucking with the waistband to adjust to me (I'm on the fat side of medium :wink: ), but got a snug fit.

Wearing a 5mm suit (which was excessive, but a shortie was my next option down, which would have been too cold), I need around 24-26 lb of weight. In fact, the Zeagle is just about perfectly neutral in the water, so I don't need extra weight for its buoyancy. I put 8 lb in the rear tank pockets (add-on accessory), 8 lb (4 ea) in the integrated side pockets, and 10 on a belt. I was well balanced in the water; very comfortable attitude. No throwing forward; very accessible D-rings (to which I had clipped octo, gages, & camera).

Inflating is very controllable. The inflate valve is slow, so short bursts add very little air. I like this, as it makes it easy to control.

Deflating via either pull-the-inflate-tube or hold-the-deflate-button works well.

I was unable to test the bottom-left-dump in the water, because when I giant-strided-in (the boat platform was 5 ft above waterline!), the little cord button got tangled in the anti-taco-bungee on the bladder. For the two dives I did, this isn't an issue, as I was able to fully deflate the bladder in the upright position, and was able to fine tune my air using just the inflate-deflate hose.

Overall, I'm very happy (on a two dive basis, mind you :wink: ) with this BCD. I'm hoping to test it out in Monterey Calif. in a few months.

Two features which could be an improvement: (1) Add some extra tunnels for the anti-taco bungee, to prevent possible tangles between the bottom dump cord & the bungee. (2) A second bottom dump (right side) would be nice too. Scott, are you listening :eyebrow: ?

Otherwise, a nicely built, lightweight BCD. (Small shoulders/Medium waist weighs in at between 6 & 7 lbs, including rear tank pockets).

stangscuba98a:
I did my own write up yesterday for my first dive with the Brigade...http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145806

Love it! By the way there are 2 bottom dumps on this BC already...??

I could only find one string-pull dump on the bottom left side (same side as the inflator hose).

Of course, I'm directionally-challenged, so there may be a second dump on the bottom right, but I don't think so...

hdtran:
I could only find one string-pull dump on the bottom left side (same side as the inflator hose).

Of course, I'm directionally-challenged, so there may be a second dump on the bottom right, but I don't think so...

Do you have an older Brigade? The are shipped now with 2 string dumps. One lower left and one lower right.

stangscuba98a:
Do you have an older Brigade? The are shipped now with 2 string dumps. One lower left and one lower right.

Just bought it last month from Scubatoys, so I don't think it's older... I'll call Larry & ask, though!

I think the new design does have two lower dump valves. With Larry buying Brigades by the 1,000's it might take him a bit of time to get the "old" stock sold.

"New" Brigade has 2 dumps. Looked at them 6-17-06 while returning from vacation and stoping in for some "butt" relief from the drive. Also has the name plate now on the left harness. Looks similar to an escape with metal d-rings but could of been my angle of view. I have one of the original brigades (came with the rear trim pockets). When I leave it will replace with a BP/W setup but no other bc's for me. After 2 years mine has become very comfy, the new hole in the left harness (got hooked by a fisherman 2 weeks ago in Panama City Beach) that gives it more character. Gonna cover it up with a frog patch :) .

frenchy07:
"New" Brigade has 2 dumps. Looked at them 6-17-06 while returning from vacation and stoping in for some "butt" relief from the drive. Also has the name plate now on the left harness. Looks similar to an escape with metal d-rings but could of been my angle of view. I have one of the original brigades (came with the rear trim pockets). When I leave it will replace with a BP/W setup but no other bc's for me. After 2 years mine has become very comfy, the new hole in the left harness (got hooked by a fisherman 2 weeks ago in Panama City Beach) that gives it more character. Gonna cover it up with a frog patch :) .

I got a "relatively" new Brigade (mid May 06; has the Brigade name patch) that had only one bottom dump.

Scubatoys is changing out the bladder for me as we speak.

I'll repost when the BCD comes back.

Mine is the older one with a single dump rear dump valve
on the lower left side. Bought it back in Aug 2005.
Last week at ScubaToys, I noticed the newer ones.
The dump valves are now on the outside of the bladder rather
than the inside. i.e. not between the bladder and the harness.
They are on the back where the pull cords won't get tangled with
the elastic cords.
Seems like a better location as the valve is pointing up rather
than down if you are in a horizontal position.
Not sure if it will be harder to reach though.

I've got around 50 dives on mine.

One thing to look closely at is the rip cord. It appears that
some of them have cords that seem a bit too short.
Look closely at the rip cord at the very end on the right
hand dump pocket. The cord should be long enough to curl
up inside a sewn loop.
Mine isn't and occasionally, if the BC is fully inflated at the
surface, it can force the yellow thingy with weights forward
enough to cause the front most loop on the rip cord
to slip off and can actually allow the yellow thingy with
weights in it to fall out.

--- bill

Back
Top Bottom