Zeagle Escape - Tank Stability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but I read many reviews and I enjoyed reading your posts.

I am also considering to buy the Escape. Tryed it on once in a shop, but never in the water. I loved its confort and shape, besides the lift and weight capacities are perfect for my needs. I do have some doubts though... so I would really appreciate your comments, since you own it.

First I'm concerned about the single ripcord to ditch weights. I mean, ditching weights is something I really don't want to do, unless absolutely needed, and if so, I'd like to be able to ditch them a piece at a time, with two different handles... but maybe you can just tell me I'm too paranoid, I can already agree with that :)

Another issue is about the storage pockets, which become almost unusable when the weights are in place. In this case I like the Aeris Reef Rider, which keeps the storage and weight pockets completely separate and non overlapping. For example can you fit a spare mask in a pocket, while also carrying weights?

I'm glad to hear that with the yellow "things" the weights don't go rambling around, as I heard. But how easy is it to take them out from the pockets and pass them up to the boat? No hanldles whatsoever?

Finally, I don't understand why they used plastic for the D-rings instead of more resistent and widely used steel. Pity...

One last thing, does it have a carrying handle?

So I am also considering the Aeris Reef Rider and the Riptide Zone 2, although I have never worn those two. You understood the kind of bcd I'm after: wing and lightweight.
What do you guys think?

I work at a shop that sells both Zeagle and Aeris, so I might be able to answer a few basics. First of all, I use the Zeagle Escape for my students / rentals and love it.

As to ditching weights the Zeagle set up is great for emergencies. You do still have dumpable trim weight pockets in the back, so if you distribute weight you would still have some left even if you pulled the rip cord. Also, in case of an emergency I would want almost, if not all, all of my weight gone quickly to help the rescuer get to work quicker. If it is you just ditching weight at the surface you could just pull the rip cord half way out. Keep in mind, that you also don't lose $50 sets of weight pockets if you ditch with Zeagle.

The weight pockets themselves are fine, as long as you aren't packing huge amounts of weight in each side. Again, there are trim pockets if you are using a ton of weight.

The yellow thingies (Zeagle's version of weight pockets) do have little thumb / finger hooks and easy to get in and out with the top loaded zippered pockets.

They used the plastic D Rings because they wanted to lighten up the weight, and every little bit counts. If you want stainless stell the Stilleto would be a better choice - and alteast where I work, the price difference is not very much.

The Reef Rider is very comfortable in the store, and they have some great promos going on for free stuff when you buy it. Those weight pockets are relatively small.

I adore Zeagle, dive it, teach with it, etc. I was also at their factory just about a week ago, and you can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty and the factory support that they offer.

If I can be of anymore help (if I even was in the first place) feel free to PM me.

M.

Thanks Mdejong for your prompt post.
I am glad to hear from one who knows well both the zeagle end the aeris.
As for the storage pockets, can you still fit stuff in them (i would put a spare mask) even with the weights in place? Do you actually use them?

moorish,

Pockets large enough to fit a spare mask would be quite bulky on the sides or front of any BC.

The Zeagle storage pockets on the sides are for small stuff, with a small tube float being about the biggest thing that will fit. I use them mostly for a flag and a draw string lobster bag.

We have a pocket that will fit a spare mask that will fit just tucked inside the wing. 8-068R or L, MSRP $29.70. It was only available as a LTD accessory until now. It can now be mounted onto any Zeagle BC with a new zipper mount.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=HeavyDutyBC&src=gendocs&link=RangerLTD

I'll get some pictures taken of this new mount part ASAP. Don't know the price yet either, but it can't be much. I'm going to use one to mount my 6 cu ft tank / Razor bail-out system onto my Stiletto.

The Stiletto BC is made of heavy duty cordura and has 5 stainless D rings, because it is a deluxe model BC, yet it still received a Testers Choice as a travel BC. MSRP is $539. I agree it's not much more $ than the Escape.

The present Escape is made of all nylon and delrin D rings because it was geared to the middle priced BC market. MSRP $495 but this BC maybe replaced soon.

Chad
Zeagle Rep.

Thank you Chad for your reply and for the pictures you posted,
I understand your point about the pockets, although I use a small apnea mask as a spare mask, and it wouldn't need such a big pocket, but of course to meet anyone's needs there should be as many BCs as divers...

I do like the removable pocket you showed. If it can be bought as a separate unit and is big enough as it seems, than it will suit me just fine.

But you said the Escape might be replaced soon... Now I'm curious to see the new jacket that's going to replace such a popular bc. And when will it be available?

moorish:
I do like the removable pocket you showed. If it can be bought as a separate unit and is big enough as it seems, than it will suit me just fine.

But you said the Escape might be replaced soon... Now I'm curious to see the new jacket that's going to replace such a popular bc. And when will it be available?

Yes the pocket is already available, and the zipper mounting piece will be real soon. We just need to enter it in the system and price it.

Regarding the Escape. When we made the Stiletto we new the Escape would be affected. The Stiletto has been a huge success. Most divers easily see the logic of moving to the Stiletto for the small price increase.

We have been kicking back and forth the idea of a revamped Scout as a replacement for the Escape. A simpler BC with a bigger difference in price. I can't say when this might happen.

Chad

moorish:
Finally, I don't understand why they used plastic for the D-rings instead of more resistent and widely used steel. Pity...
Don’t worry about the plastic D rings. The Delrin plastic is pretty much indestructible and won't brittle out with exposure to sun, hot weather, like some other plastics. They use Delrin to make body lifts for trucks and have been using it for years. The BC stitching will rip before the D ring breaks.

Currently using a Stiletto and my wife uses a Zena, nothing moves. Wonderful gear.
We are getting advanced ow and our instructor has a canary yellow ranger. Never any trouble finding him in the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom