Zeagle Regulators and Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcadwell

Reaction score
I have a Zeagle Envoy Deluxe and a Zeagle Octo +.

Are either suitable for colder water diving (40 ish)? Are conversion kits available for them for either a heat exchanger or environmental sealing?

jcadwell:

Are either suitable for colder water diving (40 ish)? Are conversion kits available for them for either a heat exchanger or environmental sealing?

I can't speak for the octo but the envoy, although not ideal since its not environmentally sealed, still, not a bad choice. I have had one in 40 degree water with no problems. Given the choice, an environmentally sealed reg is still better. I'd say dive it and try it. If you plan to do a lot of this cold diving, upgrade to another environmentally sealed reg.

I have the same regs; only thing I can say is...It say right in the owner's manual they are not recommended for water temps below 50F. I plan on getting and environmentally sealed 1st and cold water regs for some deeper diving where the temp will go below 50F. I don't want a freeflow in deep water!

-Garrett

I have taken mine to 40 F numerous times with no problems. I routinely take it to 45-50F and don't have any problems. I'm not going under ICE or in a cave however.

I can't speak for the Envoy, but the environmentally sealed Zeagles are amazing for cold water. I called and spoke to the engineer that designed them, and because I'm Canadian and spend a lot of time in cold water, it was recommended that I go with a sealed first stage. I have the DSV and have had it to 40 degrees and it performed flawlessly. I would suggest considering getting a sealed reg if you want to go cold, especially under ice or deep wrecks. Keep the Envoy for a pony/stage/deco reg

I'm pretty sure Zeagle has a kit available to add an environmental seal to the Envoy Deluxe's first stage and a heatsink to the second stage. This makes it essentially the same reg as the DS-V.

You may want to post a question to ScottZeagle or Chad Carney in the Zeagle manufacturer's forum to get more details.

jcadwell:

If the manufacture documentation indicates 50F minimum, than that is what I'd recommend even of some get away with lower temps. If you are planning on doing a lot of sub 50F diving, I'd highly recommend ANY of the Zeagle line that has a sealed first stage. I just did my coldest dive this weekend in 41F water. I have the Zeagle DS50/ZX, and it breathed just as nicely at 41F as it does at 80F.

okie:
I'm pretty sure Zeagle has a kit available to add an environmental seal to the Envoy Deluxe's first stage and a heatsink to the second stage. This makes it essentially the same reg as the DS-V.

You may want to post a question to ScottZeagle or Chad Carney in the Zeagle manufacturer's forum to get more details.
I posted this question in the Zeagle forum (to avoid any duplications)

-Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom