Zeagle SS Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetfixer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my Zeagle SS Backplate and Std. Harness (thanks Larry at ST for a great deal!) I am going to use the wing from my Ranger. I have 3 questions:

1. Do I thread the harness through the shoulder harness "sleeves" on the top of the bladder?

2. Is is mandatory to criss cross the shoulder portion of the harness?

3. I am diving a single tank. Do I need an STA?

I can't wait to get my rig set up and try it out!

P.S. Thanks a bunch to Scott Lakes aka ScottZeagle for the QUICK turnaround on my Ranger wing retrofit!

Hi Todd
Answers
Q1 yes, helps the bladder sit upright and I find air distribution is better.
Q2 No, I don't cross them. I find it more comfy uncrossed and easier to get in and out of.
Q3 No just use two Cam bands, 200 odd dives on mine and it has not moved.

Have fun

Cheers
Chris

Sydney_Diver:
Hi Todd
Answers
Q1 yes, helps the bladder sit upright and I find air distribution is better.
Q2 No, I don't cross them. I find it more comfy uncrossed and easier to get in and out of.
Q3 No just use two Cam bands, 200 odd dives on mine and it has not moved.

Have fun

Cheers
Chris

Q2 -- Although they come from Zeagle crossed. I only have a couple of pool dives on mine thus far :( and crossed is just as comfortable, although most rigs I see are not crossed. Not sure if there is a REAL difference.

I agree there is not a BIG difference but enough to make uncrossed that much more comfy getting into and out of the harness on a rocking boat
The reason for crossing is it is supposed to hold the shoulders of the harness in tight and to negate the use of a sternum (chest) strap
I have dived mine uncrossed for years with 1-4 cylinders and never had a problem.
however try it both ways and see what works best for you.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to uncross them and give it a try and see how it feels. I'm sure there will be a little adjustment time getting used to it. I can't wait to try it out!

I have had mine crossed and uncrossed. I dive them crossed. It is just as comfy either way. Try them both and see for yourself. It's a very good BP

need mine crossed or they cut off circulation to my upper arms, but i'm narrower in the shoulders than most guys, since i'm a delicate soft girly flower...

I tried them uncrossed last Sunday at Catalina Island. It was my first time with this new rig. It was so comfortable, I didn't even realize it was strapped to my body. Very streamline and stable rig. I use weight pockets, and they are nicely tucked towards the back, attached to the plate. Easy to get to but not in the way. I use a PST E7-100 and a 7 mil so I got down to 10 lbs ditchable weight. Nice!! I am extremely happy with this rig and now see why all the hubub about BP/W setups. My buddy called me a Zeagle billboard cuz looking from the front, I have the Z on my Flathead VI reg and the two Z's on the shoulder strap pads which I proudly display.

Hope you have better luck with your Ranger wing than I did(well,44lb lift purchased seperate). I found with a single tank it had lots off air trapping and was just a big pain in the A on the dive. I switched to a smaller wing that I dove last weekend and the problem was solved.

I do not like the fact that the wing has to be bolted to the Back Plate.

Do not cross the webbing on your shoulders.

The tank stays snug on the back plate.

Have a great dive!

Ron

Hi Ron,

I did not have an air trappage problem. However, there has been a lot of discussion about this issue in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom