Zeagle Stiletto or Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skitzo11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

i am an OWD with 15 dives(a novice diver) and I am considering buying a Zeagle Stiletto or Ranger. Now, I usually dive in Mediteranean(Croatia) which are i believe a tempereate waters. Also i hope to progress in some distant future to max to 40-50 meters and do some wreck divings(no cave diving).

1. I was wondering if Zeagle Stiletto will be sufficient due to its lift capacity of 35 lbs? I am 175cm and around 80kg.
  2. Also, what is meant when saying that Stiletto might not be sufficient for "cold" waters?

Would be interested in your opinions before i do any kind of purchase.

If the long term intent is technical diving in the 40-50M range, neither of those is a suitable option. I’d look towards a backplate and wing setup. Halcyon, Light Monkey, DGX, etc.

It does not support doubled cylinders. As such, I would vote no further than advanced open water / rescue / whatever else in the 30m and shallower range. I’m sure someone will come along and indicate that you could sling a 7L decompression cylinder from it and do limited decompression dives or even back gas deco, but I would not consider those safe plans.

WIthout taking the time to look into the details, I'm assuming it would not be suitable for double tanks, which would rule it out for deeper/deco dives. What do you think it would give you that a simple BP/W would not? When you get ready for doubles, you switch out the wing and you're good to go.

WIthout taking the time to look into the details, I'm assuming it would not be suitable for double tanks, which would rule it out for deeper/deco dives. What do you think it would give you that a simple BP/W would not? When you get ready for doubles, you switch out the wing and you're good to go.
I was thinking about ease of use for a novice diver and because i will be diving to 30-35m max in next couple of years.
So with Stiletto which is back inflated, no need to customize, just pull on and go.

I dive a Stiletto and think its a great entry level BCD. I dive it down to 6 degree water. Lots of pockets and customization options. My wife hates it because it has a U shaped bladder that makes deflating it a bit harder. She dives HOG BP/W now. The Ranger is bigger and bulkier which adds drag. Less drag means less effort in the water better SAC and possibly longer dives. With cold water diving Zeagle refers to diving with a drysuit and thick undergarments that can require more than 30 lb weight. With that much weight the scuba set will sink if you take it off even if fully inflated, or if your drysuit floods at depth you loose the suit's buoyancy and might not be able to ascend with 35lb lift from the bcd. If I needed more lift I would get a BP/W rather than a Ranger.

I was thinking about ease of use for a novice diver and because i will be diving to 30-35m max in next couple of years.
So with Stiletto which is back inflated, no need to customize, just pull on and go.

A backplate and wing will enable you to do the exact same thing and it is significantly cheaper. There is not one reason I can think of that a BP/W would not be superior to a Stiletto. Its wholly appropriate for a beginner as well as the hardened veteran diver alike.

Would BP/W add some additional pre-dive checks(like checking the bolts) every time before i go diving unlike bcd/s that are ready to just "put on and dive"?

I dive a Stiletto and think its a great entry level BCD. I dive it down to 6 degree water. Lots of pockets and customization options. My wife hates it because it has a U shaped bladder that makes deflating it a bit harder. She dives HOG BP/W now. The Ranger is bigger and bulkier which adds drag. Less drag means less effort in the water better SAC and possibly longer dives. With cold water diving Zeagle refers to diving with a drysuit and thick undergarments that can require more than 30 lb weight. With that much weight the scuba set will sink if you take it off even if fully inflated, or if your drysuit floods at depth you loose the suit's buoyancy and might not be able to ascend with 35lb lift from the bcd. If I needed more lift I would get a BP/W rather than a Ranger.
How do you overcome this issue with venting out the air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom