Zeagle Zena / Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dentnshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First of all we are relatively new divers. I was NAUI certified in 1995 but have not dove since. My wife recently got certified, and I purchased a Zeagle Zena with Octo Z from Scuba.com. I purchased it as "Used" Excellent Condition.

Upon arrival it was indeed in excellent condition. We recently dove in Jamaica she used it on 7 dives without a single issue. Her only complaint with the BC what that the corrugated inflator hose / dump valve interfered with the tank. She had to carry the tank fairly low as the valve kept hitting the tank. I went to the LDS today and inspected a Zena BCD. It used a different valve / corrugated hose. I went home and spent some time on the internet to see that this valve is Pre and Post 2014! To me this indicates the BCD from scuba.com is from PRE 2014!!!!!! what the heck 8+ years old? I mistakenly assumed that a used device from scuba.com would be at most 24 months old, some gear that someone purchased that did not fit or they used a couple of times and did not like the fit and function.

Am I wrong in my assumption that this thing is over 8 years old?
Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 8.16.36 AM.png
Her current valve / hose

IMG_9633.jpg
Valve on a new device at LDS

My plan is to return the BCD... honestly it is only $180 cheaper than a new device - Just want to make sure I am not wrong in my assumption of the AGE of the device. This is my fault in dealing with used equipment, but 8+ years old!!!! I don't care what condition the equipment APPEARS to be 8 years old is significant for a BCD bladder. If I am correct in my calculation of age, I have a huge problem with the policies at scuba.com.

Thoughts / insight

You chose to buy used to save some cash. That means you take chances. There are lots of people here using BCs older than that and still in good shape.

Does anything on the website indicate used gear with be less than X number of years old?

Now wife doesn’t like something about the BC? Buy a brand new one and sell this one.

No I have not seen anything that would indicate that it guarantees on age. They have a return policy. I can return it and most likely will. I am not bashing them, although I am disappointed in the age. The BC looks and functions great ( apart from the older style connection, as I think the newer style would fix the tank clearance issue.).

I am looking for insight on the age of the BCD. Is that style of connection really a pre / post 2014 thing?

No I have not seen anything that would indicate that it guarantees on age. They have a return policy. I can return it and most likely will. I am not bashing them, although I am disappointed in the age. The BC looks and functions great ( apart from the older style connection, as I think the newer style would fix the tank clearance issue.).

I am looking for insight on the age of the BCD. Is that style of connection really a pre / post 2014 thing?
It could also be that the original corrugated hose connection was damaged and they replaced it with a generic one.

My plan is to return the BCD... honestly it is only $180 cheaper than a new device - Just want to make sure I am not wrong in my assumption of the AGE of the device. This is my fault in dealing with used equipment, but 8+ years old!!!!
You could be right. I have the same type of connection on my Stiletto, and I believe my daughter's Lazer. Both were purchased new in 2014-2015. My other daughter has a Zena that was purchased in 2018, and that one looks like the 2nd picture.

If the difference is only $180, then might make sense to return and buy new. You could also just get the new valve.

I'm having a hard time picturing how the dump valve is interfering with the tank. I've never had this issue, neither have either of my daughters.

Finally a response about the BCD, thank you Belzelbub. Here is a picture of the interference.
IMG_9495.jpg

The BCD was purchased in Grape with an Octo-Z so the total price is only $180 off of new for the WHOLE package ( not just the BCD ). either way - 8 years old for that price... I think I will buy new and get the benefit of the original owner and limited lifetime warranty.

Finally a response about the BCD, thank you Belzelbub. Here is a picture of the interference.
Thanks for the picture. That helps. I definitely have not noticed that on my Stiletto, or my daughter's Lazer, but will pay attention to see if it's a problem. My Stiletto is size M/L depending on the section. The Lazer is S. Zena is also a small but has the newer style.
The BCD was purchased in Grape with an Octo-Z so the total price is only $180 off of new for the WHOLE package ( not just the BCD ). either way - 8 years old for that price... I think I will buy new and get the benefit of the original owner and limited lifetime warranty.
Yeah. I would agree. For that price difference, it would make sense to buy new.

The newer style Zena has a lower profile. My wife had to drop the tank so that the top strap was right at that point on the tank where she could not drop the tank any lower and still get full grip on the tank. Hers was a Medium. It would be diveable but not ideal. I understand the threads are different between the two, so you cannot simply buy the new style to convert it.

I dropped it off at UPS today. It becomes a love / hate with Scuba.com ( leisure pro ). Wide selection, the opportunity to buy used. I hope the return goes through without issue. It cost me $16 to send it back. I know many of us are spoiled to Amazon with free returns, but let's face it, someone is paying UPS or FedEx for their service, I don't mind that part. I did find out from scuba.com that it was a used / re-sale, they did not have a history on. Another Item I purchased used was in great shape and no issues.

I realize 8+ years is no big deal for an item that has been taken care of and maintained. but at only a 25% discount, not worth it, for me. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Won't purchased used from them again.

One correction to what I posted above.

My Stiletto has the older style dump. Both my daughters' (Lazer and Zena) have the newer low profile valve. The Stiletto was purchased in late 2014. Lazer was purchased around the same time, or slightly later, so at the latest early 2015.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom