zip placement on dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON

Reaction score
I'm having a membrane dry suit made to measure for me shortly, and I would really like the zip to be at the front, as I want to remain as independent as possible, and occasionally I like to solo dive, hence I do not want to have to rely on a buddy.
I'm told having the zip on the front means it is more likely to get damaged,and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with front zips.
Thanks for any replies/Steve W :confused:

Thanks Soggy , I think I will go for the front zip, not really sure why most divers go for the zip on the back, perhaps it's just because it's cheaper and standard!
Cheers/Steve

Regards suit zips in front or on the back their easy to break. I suggest you wax your zip before each dive day. When removing the suit open the zip fully, as its often stress on the teeth that causes problems. I often dive solo and have no problem fastening or opening a back zip using the car boot pillar and a double piston clip. Front zip suits (self donning) have to be longer in the body some people struggle with them. If I was ordering a suit today I think I'd try a neoprene collar and a quick change latex ring system for the cuffs.

I have both a Diamond and a SP Cape Horn dry suit with front zips and have never had a problem with breakage. The only slight concern I have had was the potential for wear on the zipper on my Diamond where it rubs on the weight belt. But this has never really developed into a problem. The SP Cape Horn uses a protective cover over the zipper and totally eliminates this concern.

I agree with the statement that you should wax the zipper before every dive day and that the suit should be rolled and/or stored with the zipper open. A sharp bend on a closed zipper will put a lot of strain on it.

Both these suits have been completely self donning and are easy to get into with their diagonal zippers across the front.

I also used to use a semi-dry with an across the back of the shoulders dry suit zipper and getting into and out of it solo was possible. I could hook the zipper pull on hook on the boat ladder and then rotate around the hook to zip it up. This would be much less easy with a shell drysuit and underwear to potentially snag, but would work still well with a neoprene dry suit depending on the undergarment.

Getting out is a snap in any suit with a zipper across the shoulders as all you need is a 3 ft gear line with a boat clip or bolt snap on the end. Reach over your shoulder and clip it to the zipper pull and then just pull the line across your shoulders to unzip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom